Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, January 19, 2022

I Like Thursday #270

 Good morning!  Thanks for visiting on "I Like Thursday" hosted by LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color

Pretty morning sky at our house recently.   A lot of that snow has now melted, but I wouldn't mind if more of it was gone.  The crusty icy stuff that makes it hard to cross the street when you're out for a walk is hanging around a long time.


I've been reading a lot lately, and seem to be on a theme of library/bookshop related stories.  Last week it was The Midnight Library for my book club.  Then I read The Bookshop of Yesterdays, which I really enjoyed.

It's about a woman whose uncle died and left her the bookshop he owned in LA.
Of course there are some family secrets to be uncovered and life decisions to be made!

And now I'm on The Lost and Found Bookshop, by Susan Wiggs.  No photo, but it's a good one, too - I always enjoy her books.

I enjoyed hand sewing the binding on my Easy Breezy quilt the other night.  You can see a full photo of the finish in my Tuesday post.  


I've stitched up eight Frosties now, and they've been fun!  Unfortunately I ran out of the white stars-on-white background fabric I've been using for these guys, so I need to find some more (because there are 4 more to stitch).  It doesn't need to be the same one, but I'm hoping to get the same tone of white.  Not all w-o-w fabrics are created the same!


Until I do find some more of that w-o-w, I'll have figure something different for my embroidery time.

Hope you're having a good week!  Be sure to check out all the other positive posts at Not Afraid of Color.










15 comments:

piecefulwendy said...

I'm curious what you thought of Midnight Library. It intrigues me, but I'm not sure I'd like it. I've put the Wiggs book on my list. Isn't it nice to have bright, cheerful quilts to work on during these chilly winter days?

Libby in TN said...

You've GOT to finish those Frosties; they're too cute! Yes, WOW can be tricky. Sometimes it's more like YOW.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

I have read all three of those books and enjoyed each one for different reasons. The frosties are very cute. I need to go back and read about your quilt. We haven't had any snow, just cold gray days. I miss the snow, then the beautiful cold blue skies that followed. Oh and I am always buying WOW fabrics. They are so hard to buy online though, some vendors are not very good at displaying them, so it is hard to tell.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think I read the Susan Wiggs book but not the other bookstore one. You have a lot of embroidery to do!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Beautiful sunrise, interesting book titles, and wishing you luck on finding just the right fabric to finish up your Frosty stitching, Diann!!

MissPat said...

I read the Meyerson book back in 2018, but haven't read any Susan Wiggs. I've seen lots of references to Midnight Library, but need lighter reading at his time, so it's on my Goodreads TBR list. Love your Frosty's and hope you can find a WOW that works.
Pat

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I like both the Midnight Library and the Wiggs Bookshop book. I'll be taking a look at the other one you mentioned for my look-for list.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy Thursday, Diann. Such a beautiful winter sunrise. It does look like a cold one. Your Easy Breezy will be completed in no time. Can not wait to see it. I just love your Frosties. Hope you find the perfect fabric soon. It has been a joy to see your progress. Happy quilting.

Scrapatches said...

Beautiful sunrise! Your Frosties are so cute. Looking forward to seeing more ... :) Pat

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! Oh gosh, good luck finding the w-o-w fabric to match what you've been using. I think that will have to be an in-person thing, for sure. Joann's often has a fairly good selection of w-o-w choices. In fact, I'm certain we've gotten white stars there before. Your frosties are so cute!! {{Hugs}} a bunch for you. ~smile~ Roseanne

Deb A said...

Great Thursday post. Love your snowmen and hope you are able to find a background that works. I agree - wow fabrics are all different. Pretty sky photo. Good book ideas - I'll have to remember them.

PaintedThread said...

The right w-o-w might be as hard to find as the right colored peach! (I hope not.) I love how those snowmen.

Sandy Panagos said...

What a nice Thursday post. I liked all three of those books. There's just something fun about book shop/library/book club themed books!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

That is such a cute and colourful little quilt, Diann. My sister is a retired librarian (medical) and we both have a special love of books about books. I adore your Frosties and they certainly are apt for this neck of the woods...a snappy -28C this am.

Susie H said...

Binding on is a signal that the end is near! Yay! I've just about completed Frosty #1 block. So fun, so quick! I've already got a few ideas swirling on how to finish mine up and I'm sure you do as well. Have a great week!!