Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, July 16, 2021

Table Scraps in Dark Blue x 2

A few weeks ago, we bought two new chairs for the sitting area where Mike and I spend a lot of time when we're home.  The old ones were falling apart and had needed to be replaced for a long time.  The big change for me was the color of the chairs - the old ones were dark blue, and the new ones are chocolate brown!  I like the chocolate brown a lot, but the window blinds in that room are blue, too.  So I needed to make a little quilty something that tied the blue and the brown together.

Hence... the little blue and brown strings I made last week turned into a placemat for the table that sits between our chairs!

I combined the string blocks into a 9 patch center, made borders out of a favorite sand and seashells scrap, and bound it in a bit of dark brown that I had.  It measures the same as all the placemats I've been making this year: 12.5 x 16.5.

The backing is leftover from my Salt and Sand blog hop project, and it's perfect for this little placemat, too!


Here's how it looks with the new chairs:


But, since I've had this plan of making a placemat to donate every month this year, I didn't want to stop there.  Years ago, I won a bunch of mini charms in a cute fabric line whose name I can't remember, but I started making 9 patches out of them, and then put them away and never did anything else with them.

Maybe these would make a fun placemat!

And they did!

I did trim an inch off of either end to get 12.5 x 16.5 inch size I wanted.

The blues in this aren't really dark blue, so I added a dark blue binding to play along with the July RSC color.


So now there are seven!


Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday 
and at 
Joyful Quilter's Table Scraps Challenge link-up later in the month.
 





















31 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Great progress, and a nice collection of placemats to donate.

Linda said...

I knew you'd make something gorgeous out of those pretty strings! It's perfect for your table and looks great in your living room. I bet your chair is the one with the little bag sitting next to it. ;) Those nine-patches made a cute placemat, and you did some nice quilting on it.

Kathy S. said...

Lots of great progress this week. It looks great on the little table between your chairs. Nicely done.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Gosh I love your projects! I love how you combined your fabrics! Have a great day and stay cool!

Ivani said...

The blue and brown string placemat is perfect for your space and the new chair looks super cool.
I love also the floral placemat you made for donation this month. ♥
Well done Diann!!! Happy weekend.

Kat Scribner said...

Those tablemats look so cheerful, Diann.

Kate said...

Your new table mat turned out beautifully and really pulls in both colors. The 9 patches made a nice table mat as well. Happy stitching with dark blue this week.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

we need to get some new furniture here as well - the chairs look good and the new table mat suits the area

grammajudyb said...

What a great use for string blocks! The brown really helps coordinate! I’m interested in your chairs. I need a new one so badly! I hate furniture shopping! And your min charm placemat is cute as can be!

Susie H said...

The table mat looks perfect between the two new chairs. The chairs look wonderfully comfy too, I might add. Sweet table mat and I chuckled at how you kept the "dark blue" theme going! Great job!

Deb A said...

2 table toppers this month - and both look great! Love the new chairs and that is the perfect table topper to tie everything together.

Sara said...

Your placemats are very charming. A few years ago our guild made table runners to donate to a local adult residential program. We've also made pillowcases for them. Maybe placemats would be something we could do in the future.

MissPat said...

he table mat is a great way to tie the brown of the chairs to the blue of the blinds. Now maybe a pillow or two? I hate the decision making needed for any kind of shopping other than quilt fabric. That I can do in a heartbeat.
Pat

Cathy said...

The table mat you made is perfect for tying your colors together! Clever girl! And good for you going the extra mile to make another placemat for your monthly collection! That was a great way to use up those scraps. A perfect use always turns up for them, doesn’t it?

Maggie said...

This month those dark neutrals and blues find us, unexpected projects become finished objects. Love the placemats!

Mari said...

I thought the blue and brown table mat was a unique new block, but it turned out to be a happy solution to a very small problem. Great idea! And yay for using up those mini charm nine-patches, too! They're very cheerful.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Great way to marry the old with the new and use some Dark BLUE, too!! :o))

PaintedThread said...

I find that blue and brown is such a nice combination. How nice to have all those placemats.

piecefulwendy said...

That looks like a cozy place to sit and the little quilt ties it all together so well. You are keeping up with your placemat project; I enjoy seeing what you come up with. What a great idea!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

great placemat to tie your room colors together!

LA Paylor said...

how inviting your chairs look!

Barb N said...

So fun to get some new furniture - that doesn't happen often! And your placemats turned out so well. You can use them to brighten any day :)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Two table toppers this month. . .WOW!!! Both are lovely! I like your chocolate brown chairs too. The chairs look so inviting. . .if I had them, I'd probably live right there! Your table mat is the perfect accent!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

What nice finished objects you have! A perfect table mat to brighten your room, and two nice placemats to brighten meals for someone else!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You have been such an inspiration for pulling out old projects and repurposing them into lovely finished projects. Thanks for sharing your newest projects with Oh Scrap!

Chantal said...

Those are great placemats. So nice that you made a second one to donate since the first one is a keeper. They are both gorgeous. Great job! ;^)

Nann said...

The TV chair mat is charming -- and your monthly placemats look great! Where will you donate them?

sewyouquilt2 said...

Love your blue and brown and great placemats for donation. You go girl!

Kat Scribner said...

Cheerful collection of placemats, Diann.

ButterZ said...

It’s so cool having your own homemade mats. Love the world map backing

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a perfect way to tie the room together!!!! and two of my favortie colors!
Your little mats are looking so good!!!