Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, October 2, 2020

Mixing it up with my scraps

With the end of September coming this past week, and sewing with red scraps, then switching over to October, where I'm planning to sew with my yellow scraps, it seemed like a good time to experiment with something that fell sort of in between!

Not long ago, Cynthia Brunz, of Quilting is more fun than Housework, gave me a sneak peak of a book she'd been planning to write, and I loved her ideas.  So much so that she offered me the chance to play with one of the designs in the book - sort of like pattern testing.  And I jumped at the chance to give it a try!  

I pulled this pile of warm colored batiks that I happened to have, and added a brown and some neutrals to the mix.

A bit of red, a bit of yellow, and some orange - very seasonal!

Cynthia's idea begins with a classic block - the nine patch.  I've made 9 of them so far.


But everything changes when you add corner triangles.  I chose to make opposite corners in a brown tone on tone called Shadow Play by Maywood Studios and a cream colored Grunge.

This makes a 9 inch unfinished block.

The magic happens in the layout!  Here's how my blocks look on the design wall now:

I was really drawn to the woven effect created by the
 brown and cream diamonds that form in this design.

I'm looking forward to adding more blocks this coming week, and continuing to see what happens!

Cynthia calls this type of design "Scrap Mixology," and rather than write a book, she's chosen to release each different design idea as an individual module and make it available in her shop.  Check out her post with all the details HERE!  The module gives you all kinds of design ideas, the number of blocks you need for different sizes of quilts, and tips for making all kinds of amazing quilts!

Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and 












26 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

Fun layout! This one looks great and thanks for the link! Have a great day!

Scrapatches said...

Loving the colors in this quilt and the classic block and setting. Looking forward to seeing more ... :-) Pat

Kate said...

Love the fall color palette and that rich chocolate brown.

Vicki in MN said...

Cynthia always has the most amazing ideas for scrap quilts! You have a lovely fall one happening right before your eyes(and now ours!).

grammajudyb said...

That’s looking good, Diann. I was drawn to Strip Mixology too! I haven’t purchased the pattern yet, but no doubt I will. I happen to have a bucket of batiks! I like the almost plaid look that is happening,

Chantal said...

This is going to be a great quilt. I love Cynthia Scrap Mixology too. She know how to play with colours. And so do you. I love this new project. Enjoy! ;^)

Deb A said...

Wow! That is such a neat design by just adding the corners. Great job Cynthia and Diann!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

looks good - it is always amazing what one can do with nine patch blocks

The Cozy Quilter said...

The basket weave pattern looks great!

Libby in TN said...

I'm looking forward to trying some of her ideas, too. It's sad her idea wasn't accepted for publication.

Turid said...

Lovely fall colors.

Mari said...

Pretty! Really looks like a happy fall project.

Auntie Em said...

Great pattern! I can see how you could incorporate all kinds of scrappy colors by just keeping the corner triangles constant.

Susie H said...

I saw her post earlier and knew it was a winner. Love your Fall colors. Between the colors & the pattern, you're sure to end up with something very pretty!

Marly said...

Nice choice of colours Diann. Your blocks are coming together well, and Cynthia's pattern booklet sounds useful; I'm tempted!

piecefulwendy said...

Oh, those pretty, warm, fall colors! Love!

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Oh my gosh! I love it. That will make an amazing quilt.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

This is very cool! You get the benefit of having blocks on point while sewing them on the straight, plus you add another design element and two more colors! Love it!

LA Paylor said...

fall colors!!!

Jenny said...

Nine patches always seem such happy little blocks. Adding the side triangles certainly changes the look of these blocks, adding another look altogether.

MissPat said...

Cynthia does come up with some amazing ideas for layouts. Lucky you to get to "test" the pattern and work with some seasonal colors.
Pat

PaintedThread said...

I love the colors on this.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your blocks are looking amazing Diann. Thanks for sharing them with Oh Scrap! I am happy to hear my newest pattern inspired you to get sewing right away!

Katie Z. said...

Very pretty!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I saw Cynthia's intro to Scrap Mixology. SEW fun that you got to do a test quilt, Diann! I'll be looking forward to seeing this project come together.

Nann said...

Had you considered cutting squares from the dark and the light -- same size as the nine-patches -- and doing an on-point setting? Fewer seams!