Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Saturday, September 21, 2019

Sawtooth Stars Quilt Top

There's something so satisfying about sewing a pile of quilt blocks that you've been working on for awhile into a quilt top!  And that's what I spent some time doing this week.

This project started as a challenge to myself in 2018 to use up a fat quarter bundle of Blush and Bloom by Melissa Ybarra for Windham Fabrics in a way that featured the pretty floral fabrics.



So I started by making Sawtooth Stars in various sizes, always making sure I had blocks that finished at 12 inches.



I think the smallest one is my favorite!


As the scraps from the fat quarter bundle got smaller, I started making alternate blocks based on four patches to fill in between the star blocks until I had 20 blocks in all.

This measures about 49 x 61.

It turns out I'm pretty happy with the way this quilt top has turned out!  And it did use up almost all of the fat quarter bundle, except for some pretty small pieces.  I've been sorting them by color and size and seeing where they might fit into other scrappy projects.



Now I just need to get some batting and the backing fabric picked out, and get this one quilted!

Sharing at Quilting is More Fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!










24 comments:

Linda said...

I love how this turned out! You were successful in featuring that pretty fabric, and I love the variety of stars and alternate blocks. Are you going to keep it for yourself? I would. ;)

Libby in TN said...

You had a great plan, and it worked! Love your results.

Michele McLaughlin said...

I love how this quilt looks! The various sizes of the stars make it so interesting and so do the alternate scrap blocks. This one is a keeper! Can I ask what size it turned out to be?

Michele McLaughlin said...

Never mind, I see it the measurement now. Little groggy this morning :D

Vicki in MN said...

Small or miniature things are always just the cutest! I love the variety in sizes of your stars.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Great idea, great quilt! I love that littlest star, too!

Chantal said...

Sawtooth Star is a great block to show off beautiful fabric. You did great with this lovely bundle of fabric. Congratulations. ;^)

Jayne said...

This is wonderful! I love the block and especially love when there are different sizes throughout a quilt. Four patch+ blocks are a good way to fill in and use up those scraps!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Bravo!! It is SEW delightful and I'll be looking forward to seeing the completed quilt.

Louise said...

Oh, this is soooo pretty! I love all the different sizes of stars. It just sparkles! Is this the top you told me about? If so, it will be VERY well received :)

Laura said...

What a great self-challenge! Your plan turned out beautifully...can't wait to see it quilted! :)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A lovely quilt! The colours are soft & pretty and I love all the different sized stars.

JanineMarie said...

What a fun way to use a bundle! I like the improv approach to it. And that is my favorite size quilt to make.

Sue SA said...

Fantastic quilt, love the way you made different sized star blocks.

Janice Holton said...

Beautiful, Diann! Love those florals! Will this be a charity quilt or do you have someone in mind for it or is it a keeper? :)

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Sweet sampler quilt Diann. Quilts with varying block sizes are always more interesting to me. I look forward to seeing how you quilt it. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

karenbbsnow said...

Love this one. You can never go wrong with stars :)

chrisknits said...

Yay for a great flimsy finish! Any thoughts about the quilting yet?

Cathy said...

So cute! And clever to piece alternate blocks with the scraps as they got smaller!

Mary Huey said...

Sweet quilt!!

Preeti said...

What a beautiful finish. And a great strategy for ensuring uniform blocks size. It will make some girl so very happy :-)

grammajudyb said...

It really is lovely, Diann! The improv part is intimidating to me, but I want to give it a try!

Kate said...

Very pretty! What a great way to use up a fat quarter bundle.

Sandy Panagos said...

What a lovely quilt, and such a great way to use up a FQ bundle.