Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, October 19, 2018

Moving Forward

While cutting into these leftovers -


To make these for my dark green October Tiny Rails block - 


I decided this was the week to make some progress on another Rainbow Scrap Challenge project.


I finished my Rainbow Bowties quilt top in early August - 90 fun blocks made over several months of 2017 - 2018.  Then, as is typical for me, it sat in the "to be quilted" pile until a couple days ago when I finally got it basted and ready to quilt!


I used the pool noodle method for basting again and it worked really well!  I think the key is making sure you cut your backing and batting plenty big so there is lots of extra when you lay the quilt on top.  (I admit to having skimped on those things on some past projects, and it results in lots of frustration and do-overs!)



I got started with the quilting, and then discovered some problems - 

That thread color was all wrong for the royal blue backing fabric, and what's that loop in the stitching?  Argh!!!

So, I ripped out the rows of quilting I had done (thank you, Netflix!), found some dark blue Aurifil for the bobbin, and started over.  So far, so good, and so much better!

The frogs are smiling!  :)

Happy ScrapHappy Saturday, friends!  For lots of scrappy inspiration, check out all the Rainbow Scrap Challenge posts at SoScrappy.





12 comments:

Louise said...

How fun to see your bowties getting finished up! Glad you fixed the bobbin thread before too many more stitches needed to be "frogged." (rip it! rip it!)

Vicki in MN said...

I love that you found a helpful basting method to make it easier and probably quicker for you.

Kate said...

Love the dark green tiny rails blocks. The bowties quilt is such fun and so colorful. Happy stitching this weekend!

grammajudyb said...

Your bowtie quilt is great! Love those "smiling frogs"!

Marly said...

I love your bow-ties top, but what is "the pool noodle method", and what is a pool noodle?

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

good catch on the bobbin - sometimes it just doesn't match well and then of course has to be adjusted - how large is that quilt - I haven't used the pool noodles I use the carpet in the living room - I keep telling hubby we have to stay with carpet as I love to use it to baste quilts when I need to

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Hmmm, can't see this beautiful green penguin fabric in your Tiny Rails block... in another block maybe? Your Bowties quilt is very pretty, enjoy the quilting now ;)

Katie Z. said...

Well done!

gayle said...

Well, no wonder those frogs are smiling - they're just so happy to be included in such a pretty quilt!

Laura said...

Love the bow ties; especially the smiling frogs! I am making bow ties for my leader/enders. No size in mind; no setting in mind. I am using solid cheddar with the scraps for bow ties...a la Bonnie Hunter. I do like the way that you set your bow ties; maybe I will do that with mine.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

It is so fun seeing those frogs in so many of your projects. They certainly make a person smile!

Cathy said...

Yay!! I’m so happy that your bow tie quilt is getting it’s time under the needle. It’s so darling! We’ve all done the “rip-it, rip-it” stitch (and changing bobbin color too). And your frogs are all the happier for it!