Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

I Like Thursday #105 - I Like Fall!

Welcome back for I Like Thursday!  Every week I share good things that are going on - some sewing related and some otherwise.  Lots of other bloggers do the same and we meet up at LeeAnna's blog, Not Afraid of Color.  Join us!

This week I have really been enjoying Fall!  After a short flirtation with winter, Colorado's usual lovely fall weather came back!   Sunday afternoon was so nice (and since there was no Bronco game) we got ourselves outdoors for a favorite hike.  I think it has been a year since we went on this one - it crosses through a very scenic golf course on the west side of town.

To the east of the trail you get views of our city, and to the west, this -


And the signs on the trail crack me up!

Watch for flying golf balls and talk only in a whisper!

Fall means soup in the crockpot, and I love that!


Fall is for baking pumpkin bread!  I used Carole's (From My Carolina Home) recipe for Pumpkin Orange bread, and it turned out to be delicious!

I bet you can tell what's for dinner at my house tonight - vegetable soup and pumpkin bread!


I don't buy very much novelty fabric, but I saw this at Joann's recently and decided I needed it. :)

I love the little tiny things in it - pumpkins and bats and leaves!  And that it has purple and lime green stripes along with the Halloween-y colors.

It made a great binding for one of my pumpkin projects!


And one more neat fall thing I came across - I was out for a walk yesterday afternoon and walked by this Milkweed plant with all its pods exploding!


Hope you're having a wonderful week!  Thanks for visiting!








13 comments:

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Looks like a great hike. The milkweed plant looks cool. Love your binding.

Vicki in MN said...

I was just thinking I needed to make chicken wild rice soup one of these cooler days. Yummy looking bread too!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Oh my, that hiking view! I was thinking that Joanns fabric would be a cool border too. Really nice.

PaintedThread said...

What great binding fabric! lol I always love your wide-open views. That sky is amazing. And that sign is amusing. Whisper on the trail? lol

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! Oh, I love that fabric for a binding. The scale is just perfect for that use - it is nice to be able to recognize the items. Those little pumpkins are so cute! Beautiful scenery for your hike! ~smile~ Roseanne

piecefulwendy said...

I have a feeling you'll use that fabric more than you think, it's so cute! What golf course? My brother-in-law is a golf course architect in Denver, so I'm wondering if it's one he worked on. The sign cracks me up, but having been a golfer (past tense, not sure why I quit), I do know that some are very fussy about the noise level when teeing off. My game was never that good, so I just used noise as an excuse! LOL. It's soup weather here too - yum!

Suzanne said...

Great Fall post...I love baking when the weather turns cooler. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

MissPat said...

I like to use bright color stripes as borders or binding. The mix of colors usually blends well with the colors in the quilt, probably because I use bright primary colors in my kid quilts. Your views are beautiful.
Pat

LA Paylor said...

that fabric is adorbs. Yum to soup, less to milkweed floating everywhere here in the breeze.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I loved seeing the milkweeds as we traveled, we do not have them at home but I grew up with them in Wisconsin. I am so ready for home made bread and soup - I was going to experiment with bread in the dutch oven with coals while traveling but never got to it - home again and so ready to keep back in touch with everyone's blogs it was so hard to do with the crappy WiFi we had

Kate said...

What a spectacular view along your walk. Lots to enjoy this season, it can be hard to slow down long enough to enjoy it.

Linda said...

What a gorgeous view. Lol on the sign - I've always thought it a little silly that golfers have to have total silence, when you think about how noisy all other sports are! Thanks for the pumpkin bread link. :)

Shannon said...

I love all pumpkin things except pumpkin pie. I made pumpkin oatmeal cookies last weekend and they were very tasty and I'm signed up to take pumpkin bread to church next week. It really is my favorite sweetbread. Yours looks very tasty with that delicious crock pot stew. yum!!!