Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Monday, September 17, 2018

Dream!

It's time for the Blogger's Quilt Festival again over at Amy's Creative Side and I haven't joined in with everyone for a long time.  So I thought I would share my Dream mini quilt, which was originally made this past February for the Project Quilting Challenge "Brave and Bold."


This piece was inspired by the words of Martin Luther King, Jr's "I have a dream" speech, as well as those of one of my favorite musicians, John Lennon.

The letters that make up this mini quilt were free pieced, using rectangles and squares, with stitch and flip corners to create angles.


The background is a blue Grunge and the letters, sun, and binding are bright yellow Kona Sunflower.  I really love blue and yellow together, and this was such a pleasure to work on in cold and dark February!


This mini was not destined to stay with me - instead I sent it off to my niece and her family who were living their dream with a home in Puerto Rico until Hurricane Maria came through and changed all of that.  I just wanted to encourage them to continue to Dream!

Here is the picture my niece sent me of the Dream mini in their new home in Florida.


You can read my original post about creating Dream HERE.

Thanks for visiting today!  Be sure to check out all of the Blogger's Quilt Festival entries at Amy's Creative Side!








14 comments:

For the love of geese said...

Very nice

Alison V. said...

So sweet! :D

Denise :) said...

I love inspirational word quilts -- I like how you pieced yours! :)

dapples said...

like the mini quilt..I like art with words

Linda said...

Diann you have created a beautiful piece. I love the "M"! It looks like wings. All the letters are so pretty and unique. I know your niece is so proud of it.

Louise said...

Love your mini Dream with that mini palm tree! :)

Nancy in NV-wheres the dude at blogspot said...

I really love the bird in the M. Dream songs abound in my head.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! I missed this when you finished it the first time around, so I'm glad I get to see it now. How nice that you sent it to your niece! I'll bet she loves having a little piece of you with her wherever she goes! See you Thursday! ~smile~ Roseanne

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great choice for a Blogger's Quilt Festival entry. It is great seeing it again.

Cathy W said...

I really like your "dream" quilt. I am tempted to try that for my granddaughter who has moved to Washington to attend Clark college. She is really homesick. They are the "Penguins" What I really love is your Penguin quilt at the top. I would love to make that for her. Could you maybe share where you found the pattern. It is so darn cute. Thank you for sharing your work with us

Danice G said...

What a nice quilt. Great inspiration and message. The fabrics are great as well.

Nancy said...

This is a beautiful quilt, Diann. I like the way the letters are formed: they create a beautiful "font."

Kate said...

I remember this project. It turned out beautifully. It's always nice to see someone use your projects. Hope your niece's family has been able to get back on their feet after the hurricane

Danette said...

I love this little sun in the corner! I'm sure your niece enjoys this every day!