Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Some Hand Quilting and a Christmas Present

In our neck of the woods, it as been really cold and snowy this week.  Perfect for cuddling under a quilt and watching something on Netflix.  So, why not cuddle under a quilt that is being quilted?  Again, perfect!

I have finished the hand quilting on all nine blocks of my Log Cabin quilt and moved on to the borders.


I've never done very much hand quilting, so I put my stitches somewhere in between "Big Stitch" and "primitive!"  But it is definitely something I've ended up enjoying very much!


I've also loved revisiting every favorite fabric scrap that I made these blocks out of, as I stitch from one color to the next.


The 6 inch wide borders are made of the yellow and white polka dots that you can see best in the first picture.  I've been trying to decide on a design that I could quilt in the borders, besides more straight lines. Maybe some simple flowers?  I need to do some research and thinking about this next step!

This week, my Christmas present to myself arrived in the mail!  I've done a lot of quilting with my walking foot in the last few years, but I'm excited to learn more, from THE expert!  


Sharing at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching and Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun than Housework.  Check out those links for some quilty inspiration!








11 comments:

Vera said...

Hand quilting addition is always great! Have fun with the book!

Libby in TN said...

Did you use a hoop? I tend to skip that part when I hand quilt, which isn't very often. Let me know how you like the book as "learn to quilt" is one of my annual goals.

Quilter Kathy said...

I enjoy visiting the fabrics too when I am hand quilting!
Deciding on the border quilting design is sometimes where I get stuck... hope you can make a decision you like and keep going on this project!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Looking good Diann! I see a great border design right there on the cover of that book. Stay warm and thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Linda said...

Your stitching is beautiful!

gayle said...

Your quilt is looking terrific! I would hand-quilt all my quilts if I could, but I know I'll never have time for that. (I can sure piece faster than I can quilt!) Let us know how you like that book - I want to play with my walking foot and am looking for a good guide!

Robin said...

The rainbow colored log cabin blocks are really fun. Your quilting looks even and nice.

margaret said...

looking so good and love that you have hand quilted it, good way to keep warm in the cold. Book looks interesting hope you will share your thoughts on it when you have had a good read

Preeti said...

Oh, I love Jacquie Gering. Perfect Christmas present!!! Your hand quilting looks lovely.

Karen's Korner said...

Nice even hand stitching.

Kate said...

I love the big stitches! Flowers would work well in your yellow dotted border.