Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, August 19, 2026

I Like Thursday #497

Happy 95th Birthday to my dear mom!  I'm going to have lunch with her and will take her some flowers.  This picture is from Valentine's Day this year.


Speaking of flowers - I could swear I only planted white petunias this year!  

I guess this one is a little confused, lol!

This week's read is an interesting and different one, for me.  Lady Tremaine is a retelling of the Cinderella story, from the point of view of the stepmother, who does not seem wicked at all!


LeeAnna's question of the week is about school supplies.  What's our favorite type of school supply?  As a retired teacher, I will always have a soft spot in my heart for school supplies!  When they start to appear in the stores in July, there's that bittersweet feeling of "summer is flying by too fast," but the appeal of all the fresh pens and markers and notebooks.  I will probably never lose that feeling when I see school supplies.  The hard part is that I don't need them anymore!  Probably my favorite most recent school supply purchase was a spiral notebook of graph paper.  I've used it to plan out lots of quilt projects since retiring.


Joining in with Not Afraid of Color for I Like Thursday.












18 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Aaw Happy Birthday to your dear Mom. She is so beautiful. I hope she has a great day. What a sweet surprise in your white petunias. You never know what to expect when gardening. Hmmm I think the notebook paper and crayons were my favorite school supplies and still is. I always pick up a few notebooks come school time when they are cheap. LOL. Have a wonderful day, Diann and enjoy spending time with your Mom. Hugs.

Kate said...

Happy birthday to your mother! Lady Tremaine sounds like an interesting book, definitely a different point of view. I do miss shopping for school supplies. Not sure what it is about pens, paper, planners and such, but they are just such fun to look at.

Anonymous said...

That purple petunia just likes to make its presence known!
I always loved a new set of pencil crayons! I still have a set in my sewing room to draw quilt designs on graph paper.
Happy Birthday to your Mom!
Gail at the cozy quilter

Vicki in MN said...

Happy Birthday to your mom! I dug out some graph paper this past week too, I was to lazy to get EQ open!

Linda at Texas Quilt Gal said...

Happy birthday to your sweet Mom! Did she enjoy her lunch? Did the retirement place fete her too? Those petunias look so pretty. Isn't it amazing how those mystery plants surprise us?

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Happy birthday to your mom. What was her favorite part of lunch? That one purple petunia snuck in to liven up the arrangement!

Angela said...

I hope your Mom has a wonderful birthday! Your quilt planner looks good! Great idea!

Deb A said...

Happy Birthday to Mom! (My MIL's birthday today too!). Love how you use the graph paper to draw out the quilt. I might have picked up colored pencils and highlighters. I always get the cheap notebooks... I like writing things down for work on actual paper with a pencil! Highlighters - my brother was doing search a words and used highlighters. Smart idea I stole from him. Have a great day.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Love that pretty purple petunia growing up with the white ones-!!! Ahh school supplies--I dont remember them being a big deal when I went to school for some reason--we always got a new dress for the first day of school and a new lunch box--(I went to a one room school house through grade 5--walked a mile and a quarter each way) Today I do love Dollar Trees colored boxes as I use them for my project boxes--so always buy some-and I did pick up 2 boxes of 24 crayons at Walmart--just because--!!!
I need to find one of those graph notebooks--
have a fun day--hugs, di

PaintedThread said...

Your mom looks great! Happy birthday! I like your confused petunia. I had a few confused irises that bloomed in July instead of with all the rest of them in May.

Cherie Moore said...

Happy 95th birthday to your mom! Have a wonderful lunch 🙂

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

95! wow the assisted care if taking good care of her isn't it. She looks good and I'm sure she enjoys the visits even if mentally she might not show it anymore.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Happy birthday to your beautiful mom, Diann! Yes to graph paper notebooks for sketching out quilt designs!

grammajudyb said...

Happy Birthday Diann’s mom! How very special!. Spiral bound graph paper, brilliant. I have some punched for use in a binder, but spiral bound would be GREAT!

piecefulwendy said...

Happy 95th to your mom! I hope she enjoyed her birthday! So one of my purple petunias took a trip to your house, huh? Haha! Thanks for the heads up on the book!

MissPat said...

Happy Birthday to your Mom. 95 I'd certainly something to celebrate. Petunia seeds are really tiny, so it's not surprising that a purple one wound up in a group of white ones. It bring makes a nice contrast, unless, of course, it disrupts a planned color design. I'm glad I don't have to outfit any more students. I read somewhere how much it costs these days and it was an eyepopping amount.
Pat

Michele McLaughlin said...

Happy Birthday to your Mom! She looks wonderful! The purple petunia is a bit of a rebel but kind of neat too :) Have a great weekend!

Susie H said...

Happy 95th to your mother. I'll bet there was a joyful party at her residence!