Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Midweek Update

My number one goal this week has been to finish the quilting on the final row of Patchwork Hearts, and I did it!


The final two rows are trimmed up and ready to connect to the first three.  I've spent the last couple days sewing on the sashing that connects the fronts of these rows to each other and to the top section.

Only a few more long seams now!

But you know me, I need a break from this kind of quilting task every now and then, so I decided to try a few of Melva's blocks from her Lala's Irish Chain sew-along.  The Irish Chain design has always intrigued me, but I've never made one before.  

When I saw that Melva was using the same print for one of her versions of this quilt that she had sent me for participating in the Little House log cabin sew-along, I was inspired to start cutting into it and making these blocks, too!


The blue print I'm using for the chain also has darker blue, red, yellow, and white dots, so that's how I chose the other colors to use.  It turns out there's a bit of an art to choosing and placing the "scrappy" parts - you want them to support, but not overwhelm the chain design.  And I'm not sure about my red squares.   Are they too much?

These are 10 inch blocks and I'm committing to making 
nine of them which will make a small quilt, but will be fun
to play with as I finish up the much bigger Patchwork Hearts! 

Sharing at The Inquiring Quilter for Wednesday Wait Loss.








No comments: