There's been some sourdough baking going on at our house the last couple weeks. Younger son has made waffles and zucchini bread with his starter - both yummy! My "aha" with sourdough baked goods is that they are lighter than a similar thing made the traditional way.
For a couple years now, I've followed the Big Bear Lake bald eagle nest camera in California, and watched the pair of eagles, Jackie and Shadow, raise and fledge four eaglets. It has been fascinating and soothing to watch nature up close like this. Unfortunately, the female eagle, Jackie, recently got very sick, and in spite of being taken care of at a raptor rehabilitation center in the area, she died. So very sad. But it is the circle of life.
The nest cam will go on, and I imagine Shadow will find a new mate.
It will be interesting to see what happens as the time for nesting comes around again.
LeeAnna's question of the week is about what we're reading this summer - books, magazines? My answer is some of each! I've been a reader my whole life and always have a pile of books ready to go. Here's the current pile! At the moment, I'm reading Project Hail Mary. There are also a couple of ebooks loaded on my Libby app.
I do also like to read magazines, although I don’t currently have any subscriptions. One favorite has always been People magazine. I find it at the hair salon I go to! Travel magazines are fun, too - we usually order some from whatever destination we're thinking of heading to next.

12 comments:
You are right travel magazines are good! I used to have a subscription that I really enjoyed.
Is your son making those yummy thing with the "discard"? Sourdough waffles definitely have my vote, and I haven't made zucchini bread in so long - I miss it. My goodness I didn't know the female got sick! I've neglected watching the nest - it has been a long time.
Mmmm sourdough waffles and zucchini bread sound wonderful. Are the zucchini from your garden, Diann? We got one picking from ours and then they went down hill plus the deer enjoyed our garden this year. So sad to hear about the female eagle. Thank you for telling about the eagle cam. I am going to check that out. Have a wonderful day. Hugs.
I LOVED Project Hail Mary!! Loved the movie too! I just got some 'Powered by Astrophage' stickers for my sewing machine, and one for the car too! I have a Rocky sticker on my primary machine with the caption "Words of Encouragement", you'll understand that later. The book is hilarious and heartwarming and fun!!
Good eating at your house! Looks like a trip to Sault Ste. Marie might be on your horizon. What a great trip. You'll have to visit Traverse City for their cherries, Mackinac Island for The Grand Hotel, Sault Ste. Marie for the peace & solitude. Hope it comes to pass and you have a great time!
There is a scenic all day train ride in Sault ste Marie in Canada . The algoma Central railway trip is recommended! We took the train there last fall. Spectacular!
Those waffles look delicious.
Gail at the cozy quilter.
my problem with sourdough is I keep baking to use it! I saw that the Eagle died also I didn't follow on a regular basis though.
Sourdough waffles sound divine! I love all things sourdough and would love to take a class. I was very sad to read that Jackie passed away. There are so many books out that I want to read. I tend to listen as I exercise or sew.
I’ve been watching Jackie and Shadow for 2 years too, and was heartbroken when Jackie got sick and especially when she passed. It has really bummed me out, because… it was JACKIE!! It will be interesting to see if Shadow finds a new mate once his hormones kick in this fall/winter, and if they will use the same nest.
Sourdough starter makes lots of goodies. My Guy has his own, so does My Girl, so I get lots of yummy stuff. Waffles sound amazing, I should convince My Guy to make a batch. So sad about Jackie. My Guy is part of the eagle counting team for Oklahoma. I get to hear how all the nests are doing and get to see the photos. They are cool birds. So glad they've come back from almost extinction.
Your reading pile featured a few books I'd like to read. They are on hold on Libby. Thank you for sharing!
You have a good stack to read there. I didn't read Hail Mary, but we thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Gales of November was a favorite read for us. I have an ongoing stash of books too (and I should get back to writing ILT posts!).
Post a Comment