Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, September 7, 2022

I Like Thursday #301 - Bows and Flows of Angel Hair

 You know that song, right?  "Both Sides Now" by Judy Collins.  LeeAnna suggested that we share favorite cloud photos in this week's post, so I've been singing that song all week long. 

Beautiful cloud formations can be seen in one of my very most favorite places to visit - the Oregon coast.  Because it is by the ocean, it often seems to be a combination of clouds and fog.  Last year we spent several days in Bandon, Oregon, and it probably has the most spectacular coastal area I have ever seen.  Here are a few favorite photos from our trip there.

Beautiful sunsets!


And then there'll be a day with not a cloud in the sky!
An amazing place!  And we are going there again soon - 
I am so looking forward to being there again!

What else has been going on this week?  Well, a little stash enhancement, for one thing!  Needing a better choice for the cornerstones on the Frosty quilt, I took a little trip to my LQS, and came home with these.

Some w-o-w yardage,
three choices for the Frosty quilt,
and a pretty fall piece that reminds me of marigolds.

I think I'll use the snowflake fabric for the Frosties.

The snowman print would make a good backing, wouldn't it?
I should go back and see if there is yardage of that one.

Speaking of marigolds, this week I've been doing some garden cleanup, and here's how the volunteer marigold in the tomato pot is doing.  The tomato was done, so I pulled it out, but left the marigold.  These are all from one stem!


I finished the next book interview Ruth Galloway series, by Elly Griffiths, another good one.  I've gotten attached to the characters in this series, and really like that the main character is not a police detective, but instead is an archeologist.  That always adds some interesting storylines to the book!


Thanks for visiting on "I Like Thursday," hostedby LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color!











18 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

Oh I love that snowman print for the backing of the piece! Those snowman blocks are so cute. Can't wait to see the final version of the Frosty quilt! Have a great week Diann!

The Cozy Quilter said...

The snowflakes are perfect!

Libby in TN said...

Darn you! Now I'm going to be singing that song all day. Nice selection for your cornerstones and the snowmen will make a nice back. Bandon is still on my bucket list, but we are marking two off my list next year -- Banff and Iceland.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like the cornerstones for the snowmen it looks like they will work out right. I have only been to Oregon once and loved the ocean in that area - the downfall of the area is we were visiting my husbands family who he had been separated from for many years and I can't say as we would want to see them again all that much - so if we go back to see the coast line we would be obligated to see the - so we haven't gone back :( but I would love to see the parks and ocean in that area again.

Susie H said...

The snowflake cornerstones give your Frosties a nice twinkle! I put a 2010 Elly Griffiths book on my library list. Sounds like a fun read and the description says it's the 1st in the series. Have yourself a "likeable" Thursday!

LA Paylor said...

great pics! Love that you and dh share a love of photography. Have you made a book of fave pics? My husband had a book made of my first year of blogging for me. Thanks for the author reminder. I am midway through the series. Love the marigold thriving. still unsure why no vege thrive here just 1.5 hours south of you
LeeAnna

piecefulwendy said...

That snowflake print is perfect for those cornerstones! Yay for being able to go back to the Oregon coast, and thanks for sharing those beautiful photos! Yes, that song came to mind for me as well!

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Your cloud photos are beautiful, thanks for sharing them. I like your
new fabrics...and your right about the snowflake fabric, it would
go great with your frosties. I'm reading the same sereies your
are. I just finished A Dying Fall...on to book 7, The Outcast Dead.
Have a great day!

Angela said...

Love the snowmen, so cute!

grammajudyb said...

I think the snowflakes are “just right”! And the snowman print is perfect for the backing! SCORE!!

Still like your Oregon coast photos! A definite bucket list place to visit!

Ivani said...

Beautiful coast photos, Diann.
The snow flakes fabric will sure work well as corner stones. You got pretty fabrics

MissPat said...

Those first two photos of the Oregon coast are very ethereal looking. The only place I've been in Oregon is Portland for a PLA library conference many years ago. I've added Elly Griffith to my to read list. I really need some new authors to follow.
Pat

Linda said...

I do like that snowflake fabric for your cornerstones - nice haul! I'm excited for your trip back to someplace you love. I just read a preview of the first Ruth Galloway book - looks good!

PaintedThread said...

Beautiful photos of the coast! I can see why you like it. Our marigolds have been amazingly resilient this summer. My volunteer was not quite as happy as yours. That's quite a plant!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Just love your Halloween Jubilee. The purples and yellows pop and it looks wonderful on your table. Love your Frosties and now what fun to get them together with wintry fabrics. Love all your choices Diann and those beautiful cloud photos too.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Wow!!! The rock formations in your photos!!! Great choice for cornerstones! And that marigold is really wow, too--going to town!!!

Bernie Kringel said...

I love the marigolds - such a rich color!
If you like the "Both Sides Now" song, I recommend you watch CODA. It is an incredible movie and that song is featured in it. It streams on Apple TV. Really a fantastic film.

Take care Diann.

Sandy Panagos said...

You "should" go back for more of the snowman print, huh? I have a feeling you will! Such a fun quilt.