Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

I Like Thursday #197

Happy Thursday!  Hope you're having a good week!  I'm joining in with LeeAnna and friends at Not Afraid of Color for I Like Thursday.  It's always fun to share some positive things from the past week.

I like getting mail!  A few fun things have arrived in my mail recently - 


A graduation announcement from a former student, a thank you card from "A Doll Like Me" for some doll quilts and hospital gowns that I sent, and a sweet postcard from a friend.  Look, she has a mask on!  

I've enjoyed embroidering these little designs the last few weeks.  I just finished the last one on Tuesday evening.  Now I'm thinking about how they'll go together.

I love having a charm pack to play with and then an idea coming along to try that the charm pack is perfect for!

When I saw Joy's tutorial at A Joyful Quilter for mini magic stars, I knew I wanted to try them.  These are 4 inch squares - aren't they cute?  I often use charm packs to make tote bags, and I'm wondering if these little magic star blocks would make a fun design for a tote bag.

We love going on picnics and a few weeks ago we took a picnic to a park near the lake in the middle of our city.  We had been going hiking earlier in the summer, but lately the mountains have been too crowded for our comfort, so we had a picnic closer to home!

And finally, I really liked this book that my book club read for our discussion this week!  Grandma Gatewood's Walk is about Emma Gatewood who hiked the entire Appalachian Trail when she was in her late 60s (in the 1950s), and went on to hike it two more times!  


Thanks for visiting today and don't forget check out the other I Like Thursday posts at Not Afraid of Color!




21 comments:

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Cute cards, what a great time to start using the mail to correspond and lift someone up! Cute embroideries, and what a pretty charm pack. Love the block! Your book, was this the woman that disappeared eventually on the AT?

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Great spot for a picnic! That does look like an interesting block.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is too bad that the mountains are getting too busy and you need to resort to walks in your town. It is too hot and humid for us to even think of walking much outside.

Carol R. said...

Oooo! Everything looks so nice.. nice of graduate to remember you, nice photo of baby and her doll, VERY nice pic of the water where you picnicked -looks like a beautiful place to sit and enjoy the scenery. Those embroidered blocks look nice, as usual :) and I like the blocks you're making. I saw them on her blog, too, and was almost tempted to try.

grammajudyb said...

I love getting real mail too! I’m already tired of the political advertising that shows up in our box! We sometimes picnic in a local park, usually its when we are errand running and grab takeout! I keep a small zippered bag in the car, with a plastic tablecloth and a set of plastic ware. It makes sitting ar a public picnic table a bit more enjoyable. Thanks for the book recommendation. I’ve seen that one out in Blogland.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm SEW excited that you've already tried my Mini Magic Star tutorial, Diann! You just made my day. :o))

piecefulwendy said...

So many fun likes! I especially like that magic stars block, so I'll have to look at that. No post from me today, sadly. I am taking a break to quick read my emails, then back to the tasks that are keeping me up to my eyeballs in work!

LA Paylor said...

those little joy blocks!!! I love them in the charm pack! The picnic looks so nice...wish that was closer to us. I especially like the lack of people in the picture. The card with a heart carrying mask wearing girl is going to be a collector's item in a hundred years.
Leeanna

dq said...

This was a lovely Thursday read! I will have to check out that book. I mostly do audio books.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I saw that book come up in my library recommends so I’ll have to get. Those 4 square blocks look intricate. Great place for a picnic-and quiet.

MissPat said...

We have a traffic circle in our village with a small park in the center. The village put 4 or 5 picnic tables there when the local restaurants opened for take out only service, but I don't know if many people have used them. Cute little blocks. And thanks for the book recommendation.
Pat

Caffeine Girl said...

That charm pack is really sweet, and I love the squares you made. They would make an adorable tote bag!

PaintedThread said...

What fun cards. Watching your embroidery.... I really need to pick that up again myself. I had admired those magic stars over at Joy's blog. I love yours!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! I just went to a drive-by graduation party last weekend - so funny that you share an announcement. I am looking forward to seeing what you do with your handwork project - they are all so cute. Hmm, a tote bag in the near future?!! I can't wait to see it. ~smile~ Roseanne

Susie H said...

That lake looks familiar ... I think I've been there while visiting my SIL! Isn't there a Statue of Liberty nearby? Anyway, your mini circles are adorable. Can't wait to see what you come up with to use them.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

A super post, Diann with a great roundup of things to love. Mike looks quite comfortable there picnicking outside in the fresh air. Love that little square pattern from Joy. Of course, your embroidery pieces are always a favourite of mine. I just love stories about older folks keeping active and accomplishing these physical feats. I must check her out!

Shannon said...

Those star blocks are so pretty and delicate and precise! I'll have to look at the tutorial, I don't think my triangles would ever come out so nice! And I love your sewing embroideries. This has been an embroidery intensive period for me, and I'm really enjoying it!

Quilter Kathy said...

Beautiful embroidery blocks... can't wait to see what you do with them! And you really make me want to start a mini magic stars project!

Preeti said...

Not only you are getting mail it is more than flyers and bills??? Joy's tutorial has been tempting me too but I have avoided that squirrel so far :-) Have a Happy Sunday.

Kate said...

I like you idea of using those charms in those blocks for a tote bag. We've not been out hiking recently (too hot), but am hoping that things aren't too crowded once it cools down some. Hope you have more picnics in the park.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Grandma's Gatewood's Walk looks very interesting. A few more months and I'll be in my late 60s, lol