Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, February 19, 2020

I Like Thursday #174 - a quick trip

We're away from home this week, visiting my mom in Mesa, Arizona.  Hello, Mary in Peoria!  (waving!)

I liked that our plane was on time, even early, and weather was good for flying after a predicted snowstorm caused us a little worry!

Thank you, Southwest!

I like my travel reading!

A really good book based on the true story of the Packhorse Librarians of Kentucky who brought books to the mountain people of the Appalachians between 1935 and 1943.  
You can read more about them on Wikipedia here.

I like my travel project bag that I made about a year ago for trips just like this one.

Now it comes along whenever we go somewhere!

And I stitched up Tuesday's little square after we got here.

A teeny tiny teabag! 

I liked this view at the garden center when we went there with my mom this morning.

I love all the color!  We won't see this at home until at least April.  

And, of course, I like the temperatures here.  So nice for February!  80 degrees predicted for today (Thursday).  

Hope you're having a great week!  Join me at Not Afraid of Color for "I Like Thursday!







18 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I sent my daughter a link to the pack horse library article - so interesting I had not heard of that one, but the bookmobiles are so interesting in how they served so much of rural America, we still have two in Arkansas.
I love seeing the garden centers and we will be getting flowers in the stores for the gardens soon - they start too early I think and I wait until close to late March to buy any

Libby in TN said...

You are fortunate to still have a mom to visit! Mine died 40 years ago and I still miss her.

LA Paylor said...

the flower display... love! color! not beige or white! LOVE your Project bag, please share the post on making it, or the pattern source. I need to read that book. I checked it out but had to return it before I read it. Have lots of fun in the warmth, we got about 2" yesterday of snow, and more on Sunday to come.

Vicki in MN said...

Glad you will get to enjoy some warm temps too! What are you using to color your stitcheries.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Hi Diann! Welcome to our great weather this week! I need to get to the nursery even if I don’t plant anymore-haha. It’s just so pretty and smells so good. Enjoy! Mary

The Joyful Quilter said...

Enjoy your visit, Diann!!

piecefulwendy said...

Yay for sunshine, pretty flowers and stitching -- and airlines that get us to our destinations on schedule! A good day all around, and much to be thankful for. That little project bag is perfect! I am so ready for warm weather, so I'm looking forward to our road trip to Florida soon! It is 2 degrees here now; it was -17 below this morning :-0

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Enjoy your trip, and sunny days with your mom!

MissPat said...

I've got that book on my Goodreads To read list. I love the smell of the garden centers in early spring. I plan to visit the Marie Selby Botanic Gardens in Sarasota to see the orchids and a special exhibit of Salvador Dali in two weeks. Enjoy your time in AZ with your Mom.
Pat

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! Oh, to visit a garden center . . . and have 80 degrees. Yup, in about five months. Maybe. Enjoy the time with your mom. I know you will! ~smile~ Roseanne

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I will take one of every one of those plants--please!!
they are so pretty--
and that is a pretty travel stitching project bag that you made--
have a great visit with Mom--
luv, di

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Cute project bag. I think I have that book or something kind of similar in my Kindle. Enjoy the warm weather and the visit.

PaintedThread said...

Oh, flowers! Love the little tea bag! So cute.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Lovely likes, Diann. Like that couching on your embroidered border, btw. I think I’d be visiting your Mom more often in winter with temps like that. Seeing those flowers made me think of spring time...

Linda said...

Glad you're getting some warmer weather and a good visit with your Mom. Are you helping her plant some flowers? Your embroidery looks so pretty!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Have a wonderful visit and enjoy the warm weather! Love your teabag embroidery! So nice to see flowers! Have a great week!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

That's a cool looking travel bag. So is your embroidery. :-) Happy Trails to you.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I just read The Giver of Stars and absolutely loved it! I hope you enjoy your trip. Enjoy the warmth!