Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, November 15, 2019

Moving Along

When I left off with Scrappy Sprouts last week, I had deconstructed one column of blocks from the right side of the quilt and was working on rearranging them into a narrower, but taller group.


Meanwhile, all the Tiny Tuesday blocks are finished, and grouped into rows, ready to sew together.



I knew I'd need an additional sprout to even things out, and decided it needed to be a lighter color - so I made one in lime green!


With the addition of some more Kona grass green, the sprouts were sewn back together, and I'm happier with the size now.  This section measures about 48 x 48.


You can see that I've started working on the sky section now, too, laying out 2.5 inch squares, starting with low volumes like I used in the sprouts blocks and transitioning into blues.  The top needs to be about 12.5 x 48, so that's a lot of little squares to cut!

But Scrappy Sprouts is moving along, and I'm so happy about that!

Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday and at




28 comments:

Cathy said...

This size is much more workable for that sky. And since you’re always full of good ideas, I’m sure it’s going to be so cute when it’s done!

Libby in TN said...

Looking good! The changes you made were very smart.

Carol R. said...

I agree with the other two, it's 'lookin goood' ( as Freddy Prinz? used to say).

Linda said...

Love the lime green and the changes you made. Your hearth comes in handy doesn't it? :)

Louise said...

It's really starting to take shape now! I'm glad that you're happy with this direction :)

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

The green is great and can't wait to see what magic you work

Frog Quilter said...

Love the sprouts. Can’t wait to see what you do next.

Sheila said...

Awesome! Love your sprout quilt progress. I want to finish mine after Christmas. Until them, I'll enjoy watching your sprouts grow up together.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is looking good I like your changes

chrisknits said...

I'm going to do select blocks of the tiny patterns next year. I just need to decide what I am using for the setting squares and what to do with the block colors. I am dreaming of using the recent purchases and purple, olive, gold, and burnt umber as my focus. I just can't decide!! Can't wait to see how you set yours.

grammajudyb said...

I am really liking your sprout layout! Great ideas !
I’ve put mine away for now!

Linda said...

Love how your Sprouts quilt is coming along. I think I must make some of these blocks for next year’s RSC.

BarefootThunder said...

I'm with all of the others, loving your sprouts.
I may have to do these next year.

Sandy Panagos said...

It's shaping up. Can't wait to see the sky.

MissPat said...

I've forgotten. Are you appliquing some flowers on top of the sprouts?
Looking good so far.
Pat

piecefulwendy said...

You are steadily making progress, such fun to see. Looking forward to seeing the tiny blocks quilt top!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice job on those scrappy projects, Diann! I'm looking forward to seeing both of these come together.

Mari said...

Nice progress! Looking forward to seeing the finishes!

Jayne said...

Progress! I love the sprouts very much and look forward to seeing the sky come together!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love your changes, and the sky is a great addition!

Quilter Kathy said...

Great progress on the scrappy sprouts!

Turid said...

This will be a beautiful quilt. Love the colours.

Preeti said...

Scrappy Sprouts is growing not just taller but prettier too :-)

PaulaB quilts said...

Your sprouts are such a cheery thing on this drizzly cold day. The grassy green border just picks it up. Can’t wait to see the sky.

Chantal said...

Great progress on Sprout. Sometimes a step backward turns into a leap forward. It's looking good! ;^)

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great adjustment! Visually I like it much better. I think you will enjoy blending the sky. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Cathy said...

Mistress Diann I like how your garden grows! And you reminded me I need to dig out my sprouts.

Kate said...

Very cool redesign! It's going to be very pretty!