Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Saturday, August 17, 2019

A Few Blocks at a Time

Awhile back I started making these low volume Bright Hopes blocks, inspired by Cathy at Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilting, and using this tutorial from Red Pepper Quilts.

Here's how they looked the last time I had them on my design wall.  I wish I could get a brighter photo of them - this is what my camera produces!


They're so easy to make - for a 6.5 inch block you need a center 2.5 inch square and 4 rectangles that measure 2.5 x 4.5.

I'm using all low volume fabrics on a white background with pops of pink and turquoise here and there.

I've got a stack of pieces cut so that I can make a few blocks whenever I feel like it!


I've made about 40 blocks - I think I will shoot for 80, to make a lap quilt about 48 x 60.  I'll just keeping making a few blocks at a time!

Sharing at Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!



15 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

These blocks are going to make a quilt that is SEW sweet!! Keep up the good work, Diann. Bits at a time and then BOOM! Suddenly, there are enough blocks for a quilt. :o))

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have done low volume for backgrounds but not for a whole quilt - interesting idea! I might need to try that one day. Looks like you have a "treasure chest" to store your pieces in as I do some of mine! It is staying home though and I am putting that project in a plastic bag for the trip :)

Vicki in MN said...

That is a great little block. I should start something like that, the trick is I need to start cutting to have them sitting by the machine like you are doing.

Michele McLaughlin said...

What a great block and a great use of scraps. I think I have to make one of these! Thanks for the inspiration Diann!

chrisknits said...

I love these blocks! So calm and serene, it will make a great quilt.

Libby in TN said...

Every time I see your sweet blocks I think I need to make some, too.

Jayne said...

Its so hard getting pictures of quilts period...but when they light and have soft colors it's even harder! I love the block and feel like I need to revisit a partial seam block of mine!

piecefulwendy said...

Well, this will be a fun quilt to work on! I love that little square in your stack that has the little birds on it. Of course, birds are right up there with squirrels for me ;-) Good idea having the pieces cut and ready for when you have a minute or two to whip up a block!

grammajudyb said...

I keep saying that I am going to do some Bright Hopes blocks. I have several "in the works" blocks going now. But, by golly, when I am done commenting here, I am going to my block notebook and add this idea! Thanks for the reminder and the link to the tutorial.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Nice blocks! Great idea to have pieces cut and ready to go. I love the box they're in, too!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Lovely! I am making these blocks too and have so much fun sewing them up. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Loving these blocks, so pretty in this soft palette!

Barb N said...

I like your style - a block here and there. Whenever the mood strikes! Your quilt will be super!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a cool block - love the low volume fabrics!

Kate said...

Love the low contrast with the pops of color It's going to be a very soft and comforting color palette.