Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, November 24, 2017

Making a Little Progress

Although I've had limited time for sewing this week, I did manage to get my Dancing Monkeys basted and a few stitches put in it.


I decided to experiment with a different thread for quilting this time - a Sulky  variegated rainbow thread.  I'm not sure I'm a big fan of using such colorful thread after all (my usual thread tends to blend in), but I suppose if any project can handle something different, these colorful monkeys can!

One thing I do enjoy about the quilting process is the chance to look closely again at all the different fabrics in these blocks!

Hello from some Little Penguins!

Getting the quilting finished and sewing on the binding of this quilt will be my goal for this coming week.

I also finished a brown "leader/ender" block...


and got some pieces cut to make a blue one.


These are made from the smallest leftover chunks in my scrap bins - a 1.5 x 2.5 inch scrap of background fabric and the same size of a color, and finish at 10 inches.  I have plenty of small scraps  in the blue bin, so I'm going to make both a dark blue block and a light blue block!

Hope you all had an enjoyable Thanksgiving!  Sharing at SoScrappy and Quilting is More Fun than Housework for my favorite weekend link-ups!




13 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice quilts - my threads usually blend in too for machine work.

Kate said...

Sounds like you've gotten a good start on finishing off the Monkey quilt. I like your new leaders and enders blocks. A very effective one for using up those small scraps.

Vicki in MN said...

Variegated threads always look so enticing on the spool don't they! Be sure to take a pic of the thread on the spool.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Little Penguin looks like he likes the colorful thread. It is going to make the quilt even MORE fun!! I'm really loving your Leader/Ender block in BROWN. Oh, GREAT!! Another project to add to my ever-growing list of projects.

Chantal said...

I agree with you. If a quilt can handle rainbow colored quilting thread it has to be the Monkeys. There isn't much they can't handle, haha! Love your leader/ender block. ;^)

Cathy said...

I'm always tempted to use those variegated threads but usually end up with something that blends in. The harp on your machine is small like mine which makes machine quilting a large quilt a challenge. Gosh, your lines are so evenly spaced. How did you mark your lines? And what's that little clear gadget you have hooked up in front of your machine? A table extender? How do you like it whatever it is?

And your leader/ender blocks are moving right along!

Katie Z. said...

Nice work!

Angie said...

Have fun quilting all those monkeys! I hope re-visiting all those fabrics brings a smile to your face!

Gayle Bong said...

This is a great way to use up those odd little bits at the end of 2.5" strips. Little things are too precious to throw away and you are going to prove it. Can't wait to see the finished quilt.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I really want to copy you and make some of those zig zag blocks. It is hard to keep resisting. Thanks for sharing all your pretty projects with Oh Scrap!

PaulaB quilts said...

The variegated thread should really be nice against the white background and be changeable like the monkeys.

Deb A said...

What a great leader and ender block.. and that will look so neat in all the colors... or just blue and brown! The monkeys are looking great - so fun to try new things - hope the monkey's enjoy the colors.

Sandy Panagos said...

I think the variegated thread will really look good on that quilt. Those are some tiny scraps you're using for your leader enders. Wow!