Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, June 11, 2017

X's and O's

Sometimes you see a project another quilter has done and it inspires you to try something similar - which is what happened to me when I saw this pretty table runner made by Vicki of Vicki's Crafts and Quilting.  A charm pack is the perfect size and amount of fabric for a table runner, and I happened to have one of Desert Bloom by Sheri and Chelsi of A Quilting Life for Moda.


I really like the summery feel of this pretty fabric, so I decided to split the charm pack into darks and lights, and use the peach, gold, and blue tones for my table runner.

One thing I love about Vicki's table runner is that it's made out of one simple block, a square with stitch and flip corners.  I am using the light fabrics from the charm pack for the corners of my blocks and the darker ones for the centers.  I made 18 of these blocks.


It has been a lot of fun to play with these blocks and decide what kind of layout I wanted.  I used the table that the table runner would be displayed on to decide what would work the best.


Just a single row of X's and O's, using 16 blocks?


A square shape?


Or a bigger rectangle that uses all 18 squares?

It's so fun to play with color and shape!  Today I'm hoping to finish this little piece up, so I'll show you how it turned later this week.  Have a great week everyone!

Sharing over at Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun than Housework.




14 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Sometimes simplest is best. Looking forward to seeing which layout you choose.

Jayne said...

What a great idea. We sometimes forget that simple is a good thing. I love what you've done!

Gretchen Weaver said...

This is nice and it's the best kind of project, simple! Have fun finishing it.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I made that pattern a couple years ago that was a large toddler quilt - glad it is large as she is 5 now and still uses it!

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

Those blocks look amazing! The fabrics are a perfect choice for them.

Sandra Walker said...

I've loved that simple block forever it seems; that Vicki has AMAZING designs, doesn't she? I agree with Jayne, that simplicity can be more effective sometimes than busy-ness, complication!

Sandra Walker said...

Duh, forgot to add that I do love those fabrics and am curious to see what final layout you choose! I don't even know what I'd pick!

Ivani said...

All the lay outs look great on your table, a simple block and pretty results. I will be looking forward for seeing which one you choose.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

One block projects are some of my favorites! I haven't tried this block yet but it is on my list. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Lovely Diann! It's one I'm keen to try too, great effect from just a simple block

margaret said...

what a good way to use a charm pack I have about ten stashed away time I used one of mine!

Vicki in MN said...

It's gonna be so cute no matter which layout you choose! Thanks for the shout out. You could always add borders too, maybe in a matching solid color- maybe you could even add in those flip and stitch corner leftovers!

Linda said...

So pretty! Which layout looks best on your table?
First thing I thought of when I saw your post title - Elle King's song. Now it will be in my head all day. :)

Janice Holton said...

Fun to see all the different possibilities! I have a Desert Bloom jelly roll that I haven't used yet so it will be fun to see how you end up doing this.