Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Bits and Pieces

This really has been the week for me to sew with little bits and pieces!  Although it would take a long time to finish even a baby quilt with these small scraps, other things can be accomplished and creating them is lots of fun!

My Desert Bloom HSTs, leftover from the X's and O's table runner, turned into these coasters (or maybe I could call them mug rugs).


I found this fun fabric in my stash that reminds me of fireworks for the backing and binding.  These measure about 6 x 6.


I also made one more Marvelous Monday Mini block, pattern coming from Temecula Quilt Company.



And one other scrappy thing...  I've worked with a lot of low volume scraps recently - in my log cabin quilt and my string star project.  I use up the long pieces quickly, and am left with lots of chunks.  I've been wondering what to do with those chunks!

Then I saw THIS, friends.  It is a beautiful mini quilt made by Teje at Nero's Post, made with a low volume background and raw edge appliqued flowers.  I love it, and want to make something similar, inspired by Teje's work.  Perfect for those leftover chunks that don't really work in string piecing.

I started by sorting out all of the chunks from my black and white scrap bin, matching up pairs that were similar in size, and sewing them together.


After a little trimming, I was able to match up similar size pairs into groups of four, and so on, until I ended up with this nice piece!  It measures about 13.5 x 5.5.  Not very big, really, but probably a good size for me to experiment with some applique on!  I think I'll have fun looking through my colorful scraps for pieces to make stems, leaves, and flowers.


Sharing my little bits and pieces at Oh Scrap!, the Sunday link-up hosted by Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun than Housework!








10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice to make up hot pads out of small blocks

Jayne said...

I really love seeing projects using the leftovers from previous quilts. Your coasters are a perfect example of why you should never ever throw away scraps!! I saw Teje's quilt and it is playful and gorgeous! I'm anxious to see where you'll go with it!

Libby in TN said...

Your coasters are sweet and will be nice with the table runner. I love pieced backgrounds for applique.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Teje's project inspired me too. I look forward to seeing where you go next with yours. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Linda said...

Love all your projects. The coasters (I call them Mug Rugs but I don't really like that name) are so pretty and the backing is perfect. That low volume applique project is going to be stunning.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love how you used that brighter coloured print against the other calmer LV backgrounds, adds some exciting depth! Look forward to seeing what applique you add.

jann said...

Great projects! Thanx for the inspiration...I've got lots of scraps from my project and a neutral jelly roll race top....

margaret said...

so good to see how you use up your leftovers the new project is so lovely looking forward to seeing your applique flowers on it

Vicki in MN said...

That is a great low volume block. You could do more and then sash and have a fun quilt! Your little coasters turned out really cute too.

Alison V. said...

These are such fun scrappy projects! :) :) :)