Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, October 7, 2026

I Like Thursday #504

We took a little field trip to the Butterfly Pavilion in Westminster, Colorado, the other day.  It's about an hour's drive from our house, but well worth it.  And my husband and son enjoyed the photo ops.

This guy was my favorite, with its striking orange markings.
According to learnbutterflies.com, it is a Common Longwing.

They had these spongy contraptions hanging all over the places, and they were always covered in butterflies.  Apparently the sponges are soaked in sugar water for the butterflies to drink.


We found one beautiful monarch on this red flower.


And look!  Apparently these two liked my yellow shirt!

Google Lens says that bottom butterfly is called a Clipper.
This was a fun day trip!

LeeAnna's question of the week is about Halloween.  Do we prefer fun and festive or scary and terrifying?  I'm definitely on the fun and festive side!  No haunted houses or scary movies for me.  I'd just as soon not have any nightmares after that kind of thing, my dreams are strange enough as it is!  Here's the typical Halloween decor at my house.

Hope you're having a great week!

Joining in with Not Afraid of Color for I Like Thursday.













12 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

What a wonderful visit to the Butterfly Pavilion. So many pretty butterflies to enjoy. The sponge contraptions are so interesting. The butterflies certainly seem to enjoy them. It sounds like you all had a fabulous time. Aaw your Halloween decor is precious and I am so honored that you have included some of my humble pieces. Love the little black cat beside the Halloween Jar. Warm hugs.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What amazing orange markings on that Common Longwing butterfly! You shot some great butterfly photos! I'm a fun and festive gal myself. I see Melisa's influence your fun and festive Halloween display! It is lovely!!

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful butterflies! Sounds like a fun day.
We are into the fun side of Halloween here too. Aside from a pumpkin or two, we don’t really decorate for Halloween. 🎃. Gail at the cozy quilter.

Vicki in MN said...

Fun and festive Halloween for me too. I just got out a few decorations yesterday. Oh those pretty butterflies, we would enjoy that place too.

WollwunderPeTra said...

Sehr schön sind deine Stickereien für die gruselige Zeit. Genau so gefällt es mir auch.
Liebe Grüße
Petra

Jeanna said...

The butterfly pavilion sounds like a great way to spend the day. You captured some pretty ones and how fun a couple landed on your shirt. Your Halloween stitches are adorable, Diann.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What amazing colors those butterflies are - so rich. I think that's cook that they drink from the sponges

Angela said...

What a lovely day trip! Great photos too!

Linda at Texas Quilt Gal said...

That does sound like fun trip, and the photos are really pretty. We visited The Cockrell Butterfly Center in Houston many, many years ago, and I wasted time trying to capture them on our video recorder - iPhones are so much easier. I thought of you earlier - we were in the doctor's office and there was a National Geographic magazine that had penguins on the cover and the title "Secrets of the Penguins" - lol!

Kate said...

The butterfly center sounds like fun. They have something like that at the Houston Natural Science Museum. It's always a great place for photo ops.

PaintedThread said...

Such pretty butterflies!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

lots of butterflies I had not seen anything in parks that welcome the butterflies like that - kind of unique!