Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, March 24, 2023

Survey says...

In my To-Do Tuesday post, I asked everyone for input on which binding color I should use on the Dancing Plus quilt.  It was so fun to see what each commenter thought, and I have to admit that I was influenced by each of you.  Each time I read a comment, I would think - okay, I'm going with the Kona Lagoon, or okay, I'm going with the gray Grunge!  Here's how the results turned out:

Kona Lagoon:                       Grunge in gray:                  Either: 

         8                                               10                                    4      

Pretty close!  Ultimately, my decision was based on exactly what Deb A. said: if I want the binding to stand out, pick the blue; if I want it to blend in more, pick the gray.  So, I picked...   the gray.  

I did end up with a lighter gray than the one I showed in my Tuesday post,
but I think I'll be very happy with this.  
And, don't worry, the Lagoon will find the perfect place in another quilt! 

There's lots of binding left to stitch, so that will be my slow stitching for the weekend!


In other RSC stitching for the week, I finished up the three green zipper blocks I had started a few weeks ago.


And almost finished two dark green split 9 patches.


Yes, there are penguins in that one!

Aren't they cute?!

Sharing at all my favorite weekend link-ups:












33 comments:

Libby in TN said...

I don't think I voted, but I approve of your choice!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Nice backing fabric. The lighter gray binding looks good. Enjoy your slow stitching. Cute penguins!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I don't remember which I picked but it looks great the way it is!

Susie H said...

It's going to finish up as a lovely quilt. Maybe the Lagoon will finish the Zipper quilt when it's ready. Who knows? That's the beauty of our art. We never know exactly where the road will lead us.

Mari said...

Such lovely projects, Diann. You definitely chose the right binding. It will make a lovely finish.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I didn't get a chance to vote, but I agree with Deb's assessment (and your choice to bind in the gray.) Enjoy your weekend of slow stitching, Diann!

Linda said...

Great choice - it looks really good. I like that zipper block with the bright colors splashed in there. And of course the penguins. ;)

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

I love that penguins find their way into your projects!

Sara said...

Your color choice for the binding was perfect. And those penguins are adorable in the Split 9 block. A cute surprise when someone finds them.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Great advice from Deb A, looks wonderful.

Cathy said...

Binding! Zipper blocks! Split Nines! so much color and fun here. Go Diann!! xo

grammajudyb said...

I really like the lighter gray you chose! All those colorful hand stitched pluses really pop! I like the split nine patches a lot! I’m resisting the urge to make some of those! Maybe for 2024! Grin! Hope your weekend slow stitching is productive!

Deb A said...

Awe, I'm blushing! I like the light grey you chose. Perfect fit for that quilt. Love the penguin fabrics. I might have thought of you both days in Atlanta when I saw a Penguin Coke mug and at the aquarium! The zipper blocks and split nines look great. I'm off to make some dark green ones soon.

PaintedThread said...

I like your choice of binding!

Edith said...

Good advise and choice on the binding, and sure like those zipper blocks.

Ivani said...

The light gray looks perfect for the binding, Diann and I like also the backing fabric. Owo sweet little pinguins!!

maggie fellow said...

looking good

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Nice binding! And zip-a-dee-doo-da for the zipper blocks, the split nine patches, and the penguin fabric!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I like your binding choice! That penguin fabric is extra cute!!!

Linda In UK said...

Love your zipper blocks, such great colours. The penguin fabric is lovely!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

I like the grey binding! Fun to see your RSC blocks! You're so ambitious, doing more than one block!!! Happy slow stitching!!!

Vicki in MN said...

I know I said blue, but I sure like what I see of the lighter gray binding! The zippers are really cute but those split nine patches sure caught my eye.

Angela said...

Your zipper blocks are so fun to look at!

chrisknits said...

The binding is perfect!

Karrin Hurd said...

Great projects! I think the binding is perfect also!

Sarah said...

Good choice with the binding. I love those RSC blocks. They will make a great eye catching quilt!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Great choice Diann. I can not wait to see the quilt finished. Happy Sunday

Jenny said...

Oooh, lovely, your Dancing Plus is almost finished!

CathieJ said...

I love, love, love the split nine patches! The penguin fabric is fantastic. I do like the grey binding. I missed that post.

Kim said...

The grey binding is a lovely fit for your quilt. Those zipper blocks look fabulous together. I always expect to see a little penguin sneaking into one of your blocks, Diann.

Nann said...

The gray is great -- and so are all your green projects!

piecefulwendy said...

You chose well for the binding - it will let those little plus blocks shine!

Jeanna said...

I voted for Lagoon but I really like the lighter grey you selected. Yes, those penguins are adorable!