Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, March 22, 2023

I Like Thursday #328

In search of things to smile about this week, I came across this new sculpture at our local sculpture park.

This one might even make you laugh out loud!

I finished up Bear Necessities last night and hung it in my seasonal mini quilt place on the side of the fridge.  Ms. Bear with her bicycle and honey for sale have also been making me smile!

Adding this little project to Sandra's March DrEAMi link-up
because it was truly a "have to" project.  The best thing for my mental health 
when there is lots of stress in life is to stitch up a little something.
Ms. Bear and her honey sales helped me get my mind off my worries
about my mom that have filled up the month of March.


We were so happy to see that season 12 of Call the Midwife was starting this past Sunday.  Love that show!  And also season 3 of The Mandalorian.

I love little Grogu - also known as Baby Yoda.  One of these days I'm going to make a quilted Grogu for one of my sons who loves anything Star Wars.

Thinking ahead to planting and growing season always makes me smile, too.  I am a very small scale gardener, and don't always have a ton of success, but I keep trying.  I enjoy growing flowers in pots around the yard, and try to grow some veggies every year.  Here's how my garden area looks right now:

Winter mode - we've been adding coffee grounds to our dirt all winter.

Here's how I hope things will look in a few months!


Hope you're finding things to smile about this week!  I'm joining in with LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color for I Like Thursday!









 

17 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

had to laugh at that banana how unusual! and cute. I like your small garden bad just perfect for a small amount to take care of when you live in town. It is always nice when you are coming to the end of March and knowing that spring and growing plants is about here.

Libby in TN said...

The skating banana made me smile, as did your bicycling bear. I'm not anywhere close to being ready to plant, but thinking about what herbs I want to grow this year.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Well I'm glad to see no snow in your garden right now!!! Yippeee! That banana did make me laugh :D I love your wall hanging, so sweet! Have a great weekend Diann!

Jeanna said...

That banana sculpture is hilarious. Your Bear Necessities small is so cute. The stitching is perfect! We haven't started season 3 of Mandalorian yet but I look forward to it. My kids got me a Grogu charm for my Pandora bracelet, I'm a fan. Good luck with this year's vegetable garden.

Deb A said...

That sculpture is too funny! love the little bear wall hanging.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Yes that sliding banana is funny!! Love your little bear finish. So you add coffee grounds to dirt too. I add any extras in my compost. Perhaps that is something you could consider, Diann. The containers are small and I keep mine under the sink to empty into the outside yard one. The thriftiness of it appeals to me. Meanwhile, I keep forgetting about those Midwives; thanks for the reminder.

PaintedThread said...

That banana made me smile. The idea and just the shape of it screams whimsy. Someone had a lot of fun making it! Yay for gardening. My compost pile has been building up all winter.

Linda said...

That banana is hysterical, yet . . . graceful - lol! I miss using my gardens as a compost area. I used to put out all my veggie peels and coffee grounds. Now we have dogs who rifle through anything that smells of food, and the one year old will eat anything! I'm thinking about buying one of those barrel composters. I'm looking forward to seeing your gardens full and lush again.

Angela said...

That is a great sculpture! I wish we had a sculpture park here. I love Call the Midwife, such a great show. I am a season behind so I better get at it. We are watching the Mandalorian when son #2 comes home and that isn't until next weekend. Oh well, something to look forward to.

Quilting Gail said...

Hi Diann, Could you please contact me by March 27 via email at quiltinggail@yahoo.ca regarding the SAHRR sponsored prize that you have won? (Alpaca Wool pressing mat)
Congratulations! And Thank you!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Lol a skating banana can not help but bring a smile and I love Bear Necessities.Love it framed in yellow. I have to tell you, each time you show it I start singing Jungle Books' Bear Necessities and it rings in my head all night. Lol. Happy quilting.

grammajudyb said...

Love the banana sculpture. I need to remember to take some photos of our Avenue of Art. They would be great quilt photo shoots,too, I think! Your garden area is so neat and tidy! How do you keep the weeds out of the rock?
Thank for the reminder about the new season of Mandalorian. We need to get on that!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Love the banana sculpture!! I bet your garden bed will produce well! It is nice to work with a small space! I too enjoy Call of the Midwife. I'll have to figure out how to view it because we no longer get the channel that it airs.

Quilter Kathy said...

Bears and bananas on wheels!
So fun!

Susan Smith said...

The banana certainly brought a smile to my face & oh, the little quilt is so, so pretty. Thanks for sharing, take care & hugs.

Kate said...

I'm a big fan of public art. That anana is an xcellent example.
I like your Ms. Bear. It isn't bike season here yet, but soon I hope. The yellow frame sets her off nicely and looks very sunny.

piecefulwendy said...

I made my kids cozy bowl holders out of Grogru fabric, and I just gave my daughter some flannel yardage of a similar fabric. I think you need to figure out how to display a quilt on that skating banana - LOL!