Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Monday, October 7, 2019

To-Do Tuesday #8

So... this is happening at our house...

After an emergency visit on Saturday to fixed a clogged pipe in the basement, the plumbing service showed us that our sewer line was cracked, so work had to be done
to fix it.

Ufff!  Takes the wind right  out of your sails!

A very big hole in our yard and several large checks later ($$$), all I'm really good for is curling up with a good book and ignoring everything else.


However, there are, of course, plenty of other things that need to be done.

#1 Around the house - when things like this happen you notice all the old things that have been stored away and could be gotten rid of.  So a truckload of donations need to go to Goodwill!

#2 There's lots going on in the sewing room that I want to work on this week.

  • My hand-pieced pumpkins are moving along.
You can probably see where I'm going with this.  I hope to use my newfound embroidery skills in that empty space, top left.  We'll see! :)
  • At the sewing machine, I'm working on more blocks for Almost Amish (right) and an idea for a scrappy border made of four patches (left) for my Tiny Tuesday quilt.

  • Speaking of Tiny Tuesday blocks, I'm all caught up for now, and just need to wait for this week's block to come out, which usually happens on Tuesday evening.
 
These are the blocks from the last two weeks.




#3 And one last thing on the list - it's time for me to start going to my afternoon volunteer job - an after school Homework Help Club for elementary kids in a large, low income trailer court in our town.  I'm late getting started this school year because of our recent trip, so this week is my first time there.


Hope your week is getting off to a good start, with no plumbing problems!  Linking up to Roseanne's To-Do Tuesday at Home Sewn by Us.











10 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

Oh my goodness, I'm sorry about the sewer problem! You are getting so much work done, I'm so impressed with how much sewing you get done! Your pumpkin piece is looking adorable!!! Good luck with the volunteer work this week, I'm sure it will be great! Cheers!

Linda said...

Ugh on the sewer problems. Those $$$ spent on things like that take away from our retirement fun!
You found some wonderful fabrics for those pumpkins. That is going to be so cute, especially with embroidery.
Kudos to you for volunteer work and what lucky students they will be!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Thank you for helping the kids! Bad news on the sewer. Ugh.
Cute pumpkins coming along nicely.

MissPat said...

Well at least you got to enjoy your vacation BEFORE the plumbing issue arose. Our house is over a hundred years old and we've lived here for more than 30 years, so we know it's only a matter of time before a major repair comes along. And then there's the aging appliances that are going to need replacing. Love your hand-pieced pumpkins. You've really gotten into this hand-piecing business.
Pat

Louise said...

I'm sure the kids really appreciate your help at Homework Club! Sorry to hear about your sewer woes, though. Yuck-o!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann! Geez about the Big Dig going on in your front yard. I'm SO glad you didn't come home to a huge mess in your basement. That book looks so good - I like both the author and the co-author, Maxine. I imagine you've gotten hooked on it by now! Love the pumpkins, and can't wait to see the embroidery that will be added. Great goals for the week. Thanks for linking up, too. ~smile~ Roseanne

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Hopefully you have some pleasant tasks on the sewing room... Pretty blocks!

piecefulwendy said...

I can relate. Our septic tank is cracked, so you can imagine the $$$ coming down the pipe (no pun intended) for us. The septic guy is coming once again tonight to give more advice and cost figures. In the meantime, we have a lovely tank covering in the backyard. Will be glad to get that project done. Love your punkins!

Sharon - IN said...

Oh my. I do know about the home repair problems. Hopefully you will be smooth sailing after this money eater.
Love your pumpkin blocks! How about adding some appliqué leaves along with your planned embroidery in that upper corner? Would be adorable!

chrisknits said...

All wonderful to-dos, although the reason for #1 stinks! I used to tutor at my daughter's grade school, always a fun time!!!