Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Saturday, July 20, 2019

Pink Lemonade

After I shared these blocks last week -

made as I figured out that the Tri Recs ruler set was not the same ruler that 
Sarah from Confessions of a Fabric Addict is using for her Christmas in July project -

Cynthia from Quilting is more fun than Housework commented that I was making lemonade out of quilty lemons, and gave me the idea for this post!  Thanks, Cynthia!

This week, I finished up the eight triangles, using the Tri Recs rulers the correct way, and ended with this layout in a rectangle that measures about 12.5 x 24.5.


To make for a quick finish, I just quilted the piece really simply with the scallop stitch on my Pfaff.


Backing is the gold I used on the back of my Circle of Sisters mini and binding is the same dark pink as the centers of the diamonds.


After I finished sewing on the binding, I decided to add some big stitch hand quilting with white perle cotton to some of the diamonds.


Even though this wasn't what I set out to make, it's been fun to turn it into something I like anyway!


Meanwhile, I've ordered a true 45 degree triangle ruler, the same one Sarah recommends using, and as soon as it comes I'm going to try her blocks all over again!

Sharing at Quilting is more fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!

And Sandra's DrEAMi linkup for July!








15 comments:

kiwikid said...

Wonderful save, love your mini and your quilting.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Great new use of your triangles, pretty and clever, I love it!

Vicki in MN said...

You have a great save from your lemons;) I like the addition of the big stitch hand quilting, it gives it a little extra something!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your name for this quilt and like those blocks - seems like a month or so ago I saw someone else realize they didn't have the right ruler and they thought they were doing it right like you and it was the same type of ruler

Jayne said...

It certainly ended up being something beautiful! You adapted, went with the flow and conquered the little 'triangle' issue...which turned out not to be an issue at all! Well done!

Deanna W said...

I probably would have done the same as you. I visited Sarah's blog and although I have never seen that particular ruler she used I have done a quilt block with those triangles. I used a 60 degree ruler to cut mine and so I am confused by how she put her block together.
Your project turned out quite nice.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Pink Lemonade?! LOVE it!!! That was a great way to turn your oops into a small USABLE quilt.

chrisknits said...

And it's perfect for a summer table scene! Love it.

Jill said...

A very nice finished project indeed. Pearl cotton makes for a great big quilt stitch.

Deb A said...

What a cute little runner! You did a great job using up those blocks into a fun little project. I see PINK in there too!

CathieJ said...

I like your pink lemonade quilt.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh those fabrics are so fun together. Love the added big stitches too

Karrin Hurd said...

Great fabrics!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great job turning these blocks into something useful. I am glad you bought the ruler. I sure liked the hexagon you tried first.

Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Cathy said...

Fantastic!