Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

I Like Thursday #35 - Summer!

Happy Summer, everyone!  I like summer!

I also like this pretty and festive barrel of petunias in my front yard that is very happy right now!


And all the green and growing things in my backyard garden.  The sunflowers and squash plants were planted by our local squirrel community.  Hopefully, we will benefit from them!


I LOVE that my husband got his first Hole in One on the golf course the other day!  He has been so excited about it!


I liked this ball of fluff who came to visit at our house the other day. His name is Peyton and he is a 2 lb, 8 week old, teacup Pomeranian.  And he likes to play with feet!


I liked the movie, "Wonder Woman!"  It has everything you need in a movie - the ultimate in good vs evil, a little love story, and lots of strong women to save the day!  You can just start calling me Diana from now on.


We also recently liked the movie, "The Way," on Netflix.  It's about a man whose son dies while hiking the Camino de Santiago in Spain, so he takes on the journey himself, and is changed by his experiences.  The main character is played by Martin Sheen (my favorite fantasy president!) and there are several other quirky characters who are enjoyable as well.  Completely different from "Wonder Woman," but very worth watching!

On Father's Day, I found this picture that I love of my dad and my youngest son, taken in 1985.  My dad died 25 years ago. and I still miss him every day.  It was also fun to pay attention to some of the changes in our backyard since this was taken.  The landscaping is all different now, and the house next door hasn't been dark brown like that for a very long time!


And now, I would *like* some advice from any or all of you!  I bought a new iron this week.  The old one was spitting out water from all the wrong places, and actually left a small brown stain on a table runner that I recently finished, so it was time for a new one.


Here's what I want your input on.  I am considering not putting any water in my iron, but instead using a spray bottle to spritz the fabric, or seams, or whatever, that I'm trying to iron, to create the steam effect.  I've read that this is better for your iron - and I'm wondering what you all do.  Let me know!  and Thanks!

Hope you're enjoying a summery week!  (Mary in Peoria, I'm thinking of you!:)  Please join the I Like Thursday posters over at Not Afraid of Color.  We have fun celebrating the positive in life each week!







14 comments:

Margaret said...

I got tired of drippy irons, so that is exactly what I resorted to. I use a spray bottle and find that it works marvelously well. Btw, I think that is a very charming photo of your father and son. What a treasure!

deb said...

I use a spray bottle and no steam! Works great...

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Spray bottles work for most applications. I do like the 'shot of steam' that the iron produces for some things. Sometimes the spray bottle isn't enough. But try it for a while, you can always add water to the iron only for those purposes and leave it dry otherwise. Just be sure to set the iron for 'no steam'.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

"Diana"!! Thanks for the kind thoughts. As long as I stay inside I'm fine. Can't wait till this extra heat is done-maybe next Wed. Ugh. I love Martin Sheen especially as our Prez! I have 2 irons-one with steam on the ironing board and one on a tv tray next to my chair with no steam. I sometimes use a spray bottle on stubborn wrinkles or seams. Have a great day! mary in Az

PaintedThread said...

What a fuzzy dog! I have Wonder Woman on my must-see list. I put distilled water in my iron, but also use a spritz bottle. It depends on what I'm working on (I sometimes leave the iron empty or with the steam turned off).

Rhonda Snider said...

I have an iron exactly like yours. I put water that I have filtered in the refrigerator water dispenser in it. Have been using it this way for 3 1/2 years and have had no problems with spitting or dripping! rdsnider@gmail.com

Material Girl said...

I do not ever put water in my iron. It seems to kill them. I also noticed that I have less distortion and stretch using a dry iron. I love my ceramic iron but think that a stainless steel soleplate is the best. JMHO

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I also never put water in my irons--I hate the hot steam and burning my arm--so only use a water spray bottle or just a hot iron--
love that ball of fur--
enjoy the moments, di

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I don't put water in my irons either unless I am working with things like interfacing. My irons seem to last forever easily decades) and I use them almost daily.

Michele McLaughlin said...

Thanks for the recommendation for the movie! I like the idea of the spray bottle. I might join you with that. Our water is super hard so irons don't last that long. I do however use distilled water and that helps. Have a wonderful day! I love your petunias in the barrel !!! Hugs, Mickie

Linda said...

I don't like summer (summer in south TX = ugh!) so it's nice to read about someone who does. ;) The petunia pot is so pretty. My petunias looked glorious until I let them get too dry right before it rained. I'm hoping they will bounce back.
I recently purchased an expensive iron which recommends using tap water in the steam part! (Whaaaa?) I love using steam, but I decided against it after reading so many posts about quilters that don't use the steam part of their irons. I'm hoping it will benefit my iron.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Love your x and 0's quilting, btw and also the precision for those minis. It's a great project. Your red and white petunias are what people display around here for Canada Day which is coming up. So pretty. I love all kinds of movies and will definitely see Wonder Woman. Great on a big screen, I bet. I haven't a clue about irons. Hubby researched for mine and it turned out to be the top recommended in Good housekeeping magazine. I use steam function all the time. No help to you I'm afraid, 'Diana'.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I've quite using water in my iron when it started spitting brown water too. I use tap water in a spray bottle and that seems to work just fine.

Cathy said...

I used water in my irons for years, but I use spray bottles (mostly) now. I will occasionally add water and use steam if I have a lot of clothing or linens to iron.