Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, April 21, 2021

I Like...

Um, what day is it anyway?  Lol!

My mom arrived on Monday and we've been busy getting going on things for her move - well, busy at a 90 year old's speed, anyway.  Visiting the apartment complex, getting insurance changed, getting my mom a Covid test (even though she is fully vaccinated!), and that kind of thing. 



After three snows, I decided to rescue one of my daffodils and bring them inside, and they've been very happy!  Our warm beginning of April has been cold and damp for a couple of weeks now.

Fortunately there has been down time for hand-stitching.  I've worked on the flying geese for the Harmony hand-pieced project, and they're ready to sew together in pairs.



And the April "One Stitch at a Time" design from Kathy Schmitz has gotten some attention, too.

1976 is the year Mike and I were married.

There are lots of odds and ends of things to do in the next couple days - shopping for supplies, changing addresses, making sure we're there when the cable people come to hook up the TV.   My sister and BIL are driving Mom's furniture up here, and we should be ready to move her in Friday or Saturday.  Progress!  Maybe next week I can share a picture of Mom in her apartment.

Hope you're having a great week!  I'll join in with my friends at Not Afraid of Color for I like Thursday!

















16 comments:

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Oh very busy week for you. My daffodils are all spent, so the heavy wet snow we got didn't hurt them. Makes me wonder what it will do to the fruit trees which I think had started to blossom. Lovely blocks, and your hand stitching is very pretty.

Susie H said...

I've had to rescue flowers too. Mother Nature has been trickier than usual this year it seems. Glad to hear the move is going well. Hope Mom is dealing with the new scenery & weather. Nice stitching!

Julierose said...

It is still really cold here, 33 this morning!! And this after a spate of 60 degree days--!!
Daffodils are so cheerful--mine are still dancing in the cold winds out there...
Good luck getting your Mom all moved in--quite a project for sure.
Hugs, Julierose

Linda said...

Has your Mom ever lived in CO? I hope she enjoys her new digs. Looking forward to a photo. I like that fabric for your Harmony block!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Oh, moving is so much work, and must be very trying for your mom. But I'll bet she will be happy to be nearer to you. Attention to hand work projects is a good distraction from the stress right now.

grammajudyb said...

Moving is a lot of work! All the stuff that needs to be done...don’t even mention the actual “heavy lifting” and the “getting settled” parts! I keep telling DH, I need to downsize so there is not so much stuff when it comes time for us to move to a smaller space. Uffda, as my mm used to say!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hope your mom will be happy in her apartment once y'all get the furniture in and everything situated. She will take time to get settled in and get the feel for her new place I'm sure but once there hopefully she will like it and not complain. Does she have hobbies or just sit and watch tv like so many elderly do? If she has no hobbies maybe you can get her interested in something.

Vicki in MN said...

Very soon you will have your mom all settled in, and she will love that. Hopefully the place she is moving into has activities and gatherings she will join in and make new friends.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Progress, even at a snail's pace, is still moving forward. Best of luck getting your Mom moved in and situated, Diann, and safe travels to you sister and BIL!!

piecefulwendy said...

Things are hopping over there, and I'm glad that it appears to be going smoothly. I hope you can find some time to do some quilting once you get your mom all settled in.

Caffeine Girl said...

Ah, moving the parents. I actually did nothing to help when my parents moved here. I broke my leg and was completely useless. I think my mom kind of liked that because my brothers had to fly in from the East Coast to help.

I can't imagine hand-piecing. Hand quilting I like, but I can't see how I'd sew straight by hand!

LA Paylor said...

big changes for your family.
people are still getting covid after vaccination... oy
good luck with all you have to get done, may it go smoothly

PaintedThread said...

Daffodils are pretty! Yay for having your mom over.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I’m enjoying hearing about your Mom and this move. Hope now the weekend goes well.
I should have picked some of my daffodils as the inch of snow and the freezing temperatures killed them.
Love your geese and how nice to mark your year of marriage in embroidery.

Sandra Walker said...

Glad to hear things are moving along nicely with your mom's move. One of these days I want to try hand-piecing again. I love what you're doing.

dq said...

Looks like another happy, busy week for you. How wonderful you can help your mom move.
Love the blue hand stitching work.