Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Finished!

Rainbow Scrap Jar Stars - Ta Daaa!!


I have to admit that every time I finish a quilt, it is my favorite.  But this one really is one of my favorites that I have ever made -  for so many reasons!

Late in 2015, I found this tutorial, from a blog called Gigi's Thimble, for the Scrap Jar Star block, and decided to use it as I joined in with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for 2016.  I made a yellow block to try out the tutorial, and I was hooked!


Each month from January through October of 2016, I made two star blocks in the chosen colors for that month, one in light tones and one in darker tones, until I had 20 Scrap Jar Stars.  

Then I had to figure out how to tie them together with the right sashing, and I knew I wanted to create the nine patches that develop in between each row of stars after seeing this picture of a finished quilt top. It required some math and a little bit of trial and error, but it all worked out!


The backing and binding are from the Good Neighbors Collection by Amanda Jean Nyberg of Crazy Mom Quilts for Connecting Threads.


I quilted Scrap Jar Stars with my walking foot in a sort of starburst pattern, radiating out, off-center, from the red star.  The finished quilt is about 60 x 72.


I wish I were patient enough to count all the different fabrics that are in this quilt!  There are a lot, some of them cut from fat quarters in my stash, but many from scraps left over from earlier projects.  I didn't repeat any fabrics in the stars themselves, but a few are repeated in the 2 inch squares that are part of the sashing. It is definitely a scrappy, and very happy, quilt!

I have really loved becoming part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge community and look forward to the Saturday link-up every week to be inspired by the projects others are working on.  I have especially enjoyed the friendships that have developed with other quilters as a result.  And I do love a scrappy rainbow quilt!

Linking up:  Finish It Up Friday, at Crazy Mom Quilts
                  Scrap Happy Saturday, at So Scrappy
                  One Monthly Goal, at Elm Street Quilts









35 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Love, love, LOVE it! It definitely inspires me to keep making SJSs.

Cathy said...

Way to go, Diann!! It's a beautiful, BEAUTIFUL finish and an inspiration to us all!

claudia said...

This quilt is fantastic! I loved watching you put some of the squares together and it is wonderful to see it finished! Beautiful work!

Kate said...

Congrats on a beautiful finish! I've got this one book marked as a potential future RSC project.

Emily said...

It's beautiful!!! Such a cheery block, and I agree that the RSC community is the best. Great finish!

Nann said...

Your OMG finish is wonderful! I printed out Scrap Jar Stars ages ago and come across it every so often -- the rainbow version is such a great interpretation.

Patty said...

These star blocks are wonderful. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Vicki in MN said...

I am so glad you were able to finish it up, it truly is a beauty, fun and bright.

Gretchen Weaver said...

This is beautiful! The quilting is perfect for the blocks. I'm definitely going to use this pattern next year for my RSC project.

Linda said...

Diann it is gorgeous! Although I think I would like this pattern in any color combo, I like the way you separated colors. I just bookmarked the tutorial and the finished quilt on Amber's blog. I love this pattern so much and seeing it all together makes me want to make it. Lovely!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Love your quilt! It is so HAPPY!!!! Have a wonderful weekend!

Barb Neiwert said...

I can see why you were hooked on this block pattern! Your quilt turned out lovely and looks fantastic on your bed. You'll enjoy this for years to come :)

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

What a wonderful quilt. Stars are most definitely my favorite block.

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

These look beautiful. I can't believe how you tied them together. I would still be trying to figure out the math.

eileen said...

A really pretty quilt! Love the bright colors!
Eileen

Sue SA said...

Fantastic result, so good to see a RSC finish.

Karen's Korner said...

Scrappy quilts are my favourite and yours is no exception. Nice work.

margaret said...

A wonderful quilt,I can see why you love this block so much have a book I draw blocks in and this is definately being added. Love Amanda`s fabric but it have not been able to find it here in the UK maybe it will arrive one day

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love this one too! And your quilting really makes the design shine. Great job!!

gayle said...

Absolutely beautiful, from the blocks to the quilting!! I've really enjoyed watching you build this quilt from start to finish! Yay!!!

Chantal said...

Congratulations! It is just gorgeous! Excellent job! ;^)

Pamela Arbour said...

I can see why it is your favorite! I like your quilting too.

Deb A said...

Congrats on another wonderful finish! This is so pretty... I think I need to make some scrap jars next year =) Love how you quilted this one - sets it off perfectly.

Nell's Quilts said...

I like this take on the scrap jar stars. Using white or a neutral colour with the colour of the month really adds life to each block. Absolutely beautiful!

LA Paylor said...

it just sparkles! I love it, make me one... LeeAnna

PaulaB quilts said...

A beautiful finish. You did a great job on the sashing and corners, they really give it an extra flair. Have a fun weekend.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

It's a beautiful quilt Diann! I love how you used the white as your 'neutral' - it makes all those scrapjar stars shine!

Magpie Sue said...

Oh, happy dancing! What a delightful quilt. Congratulations!

Marianne said...

I've got this tutorial bookmarked to do some day. Love how yours turned out.

Katie Z. said...

What a great quilt!

scraphappy said...

Every finish is fabulous, but this one is really special. I can see why you Iike it so much.

maggie fellow said...

I agree this should be your favorite - it is so wonderful. I love the rainbow scrap challenge as well. This is my first year.

Cathy said...

Oh my goodness! I can see why that's a fav. Congrats on an awesome finish! (Now on to the next!)

Sheila said...

This quilt is beautiful! Congratulations on a colorful RSC finish. I think this scrap jar star block will have to be on my RSC block list next year.

Sharon - IN said...

What a beautiful scrap quilt! Congratulations on the finish! I like how you put the sashing stones between the blocks to create the 9-patch. fun back and binding too!