Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Maverick Stars

Whenever I am out and about online, reading blogs and getting inspiration, I make note of blocks and techniques I want to try.  I've been noticing the Maverick Star blocks at places like Nell's Quilts and decided it was time to make some.

I pulled out my tub of small cream and white scraps, and also used a mini charm pack of Prairie by Corey Yoder for Moda (another lovely prize from Linda's giveaway in January!) for these scrappy stars.



Following this tutorial over at Bonnie Hunter's blog helped me get started.  It was great fun to stitch the stars up without much need for cutting or measuring!  The sweet colors of the Prairie mini charms make me think of an Easter basket!

After making three stars, I added some sashing and borders from my stash, and this little mini now measures about 12 1/2" by 26 1/2."  The perfect size to decorate the top of my desk.



Next step: find some backing and binding, quilt it up, and put it to use!  I'll be back over at Oh Scrap! with Cynthia and all of our quilty friends today, looking for more scrappy inspiration!



7 comments:

Christine B said...

What a pretty Spring/Easter runner your star blocks make! Scraps really are a lot of fun! Christine x

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love how you added the charms to the corners of the border. So creative and inspiring! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Vicki in MN said...

Very springy, I love those stars!

Ivani said...

Beautiful runner Diann. Maverick Star is a great pattern and you did a great job with them.

Nancy said...

I have been thinking about marking stars like these lately. Yours are lovely, especially in the runner you made.
--Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Very cute stars, I love how they stand out amongst the brights!

Linda said...

How cute! I love your angels too.