Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Seaglass

Whenever we travel to the ocean, my favorite pastime is walking along the shore looking at rocks and shells. Once in awhile I am lucky enough to find a little piece of seaglass, and I now have a tiny collection!  So when I won a set of Bali Pops last spring and the line was called Seaglass, I knew it was meant for me!


This week I finished the top for my "Life is a Highway" quilt from the pattern by Cynthia Brunz, made out of my Seaglass Bali Pops.  And I am so pleased with it!


As I was finishing up the last few rows, I was trying to come up with some words to describe what I love about this quilt top, pattern, and fabric combination, and "sweet" comes to mind.  The colors are very sweet, and the simple pattern lets them be the focus.  I chose Kona Navy for the small squares and I love the contrast it gives to the more pastel batik fabrics.  I'm going to enjoy snuggling up with a good book under this quilt when the snowflakes start flying.

Since the quilt top is very calm and straight forward, I decided to go with whimsical for the backing.  I love those little birds!  The binding will be the Kona Navy.  


On to basting and quilting!

4 comments:

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

The navy Kona really sets off the other fabrics and I love your whimsical backing. Great fabric choices!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

This quilt looks so soft and inviting! And the backing is such a cute surprise! Nice job!

Linda said...

I love seaglass and I adore your quilt! Perfect choice for the backing.

Sandra Walker said...

Oh those birds are so sweet! Is that flannel? Sweet quilt indeed. And I too, love sea glass; however last week when we took the ferry to Pelee Island I chose Lucky Stones for earrings (these are earbones from fish that wash up on Lake Erie in particular!). They are so pretty!