Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, July 26, 2015

We interrupt this program...

Things have been a bit topsy-turvey at my house the last couple days, so my plan to get lots of sewing accomplished on Friday and Saturday did not materialize!  On Friday evening my husband was admitted to the hospital with a blockage in his small intestine and yesterday afternoon, he had surgery!  He is already feeling much better, so I am very thankful for that, and anxious to get him home.

In spite of the excitement, I did get going on a couple of WiPs that I want to complete in the next couple of weeks.   My string blocks are sewn together and I have some fabric chosen for the border that I want to put around them.

I also decided to finish a much older WiP , my braided quilt, so that I can give it to a friend who is a new grandma and needs a "grandma" quilt!  I first blogged about this quilt back in November of 2013!  It is made from yardage of Hello Sunshine that I bought from Connecting Threads in the fall of 2013, and a few additional fat quarters from my stash.  I think it will be a great quilt for a little boy!


I used this tutorial from Kelly at My Quilt Infatuation for the basic quilt, but I have since added an additional border to make it a bit wider.  It now measures about 45" x 55".



Friday, I had the chance to piece a backing for this quilt and baste the layers together.  Hopefully, I will have a chance to start quilting it this week..  But first, I am off to the hospital to see how my hubby is feeling today. Hopefully, life can get back to normal pretty soon!

8 comments:

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

Life sometimes interferes doesn't it? I hope your husband has a speedy recovery. Good work on your WIPs!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I am happy to hear your husband is much better! I hope he gets to come home soon. Your quilts are looking great!

gayle said...

Wishing your husband a speedy recovery. Love your little boy quilt!

Cathy said...

Strings are always good. And that is an excellent choice for a little boy's grandma quilt. Best wishes to your husband.

Kat said...

Nice colors on those string blocks! Kat @ katandcatquilts.blogspot.com

Sandra Walker said...

Glad to here the DH is feeling much better. I love how this came together Diann! I immediately thought "fractured" as my eyes zoomed around finding the blue, my favourite colour, but it did grab my eye. I came across my blue strips from my quilt just yesterday and thought I wonder how yours is coming along, and also, okay I'll confess, thought that I really want to make another!

PaulaB quilts said...

I pray that your husband will be back to full health quickly. Your strip blocks seem. very restful like a walk in the woods, because of your careful limit of colors. It is not a hodgepodge, and I will have to keep that in mind.

Lara B. said...

Very glad to hear that your husband is going to be okay Diann. Those problems can be so scary!
I love what you did with your strong blocks and what a fun thing to see your quilt from 2 years ago!