Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Oops!

Friends, I need your advice!  I have been working on a quilt from this pattern, called "Summer at the Beach" from England Street Quilts.  It is inspired by the Missouri Star Quilt Company video tutorial, "Summer in the Park."  But I made a huge mistake in the placement of my blocks!  Oops!

You start with two jelly rolls; a solid and a pattern.  I chose a Kona Snow jelly roll and a jelly roll of Into the Woods by Lella Boutique for Moda.  I love the combination of white, teal, brown, pink, and red in it.  It is yummy!

After sewing jelly roll strips into tubes, I cut the tubes into blocks that look like this:



Then it is time to sew the blocks back together into rows.  There are eight rows of eight blocks each and they are supposed to go together like this:


But, apparently, I was in my own little world when I started sewing the blocks together, because mine look like this:


A huge difference!  I might like this quilt just as well put together this way, as the original way according to the pattern.  But what do you think?  It would mean lots of unpicking of seams, and I don't know if I want to do that as I already have five rows sewn together out of eight total.

Have you had this happen?  You are happily following along with a pattern, and then "Oops!"  I'll have to think of a new name for this quilt...maybe "Winter in the Woods?"  Something to think (or laugh?!) about!


11 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Have I done this before? Far too many times to count! I like your quilt as is. If you get another jelly roll and decide to revisit the pattern, then you will have two very different quilts. I say keep on sewing!

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

Of course I have made major mistakes like this, but honestly I like this mistake! Just sew it right on up and name it a new design!!! :0)

Sarah Goer Quilts said...

Your layout looks great!

Pat said...

I like the new design but if you really don't like it...it looks to me like you could remove the first block from each row and have almost the original design. You would have an hour glass block appear in the very center..which I like!

Micki @ 2 Dogs Studio said...

I like your layout. No need for unsewing. I like the contrasting color/white where the blocks come together.

Claire said...

I like it as is. You are the only one who knows what was originally intended. Others will judge by what they see and not make the comparison you are making. More than once I've stitched triangles the wrong way. Usually I let it be.

Jennie @ Porch Swing Quilts said...

First, love it as it is. I like that little hourglass in the center. Second, I just did this. I flipped a block that totally threw off the pattern. Grrr. And didn't catch it until AFTER I'd quilted it. C'est la vie. So no unsewing. It's great as it is!

Pam @ Quilting Fun said...

Love your quilt as is. I like the pattern that forms with the boxes, (original pattern) I love squares, however, I am really loving the staggered placement. Beautiful.

Lara B. said...

Actually Diann, I think I like your version better, although both are great. something about the alternating light and dark in your centers makes it look more whimsical. It twinkles!

Jasmine said...

It is so cute! I bought a layer cake of this line, and really like it.

Scrapatches said...

I like both layouts. I would not have used my seam ripper on this one. I love the fabrics you used ... :) Pat