Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, August 15, 2014

Quilty Flashback Friday

This is a quilt I made for my mom to celebrate her 80th birthday.  I was just visiting her in Arizona earlier this week, and realized I had never gotten a good picture of it since she hung it up on her bedroom wall.  It's still not a very good picture because of the lighting, but it's the best "official" picture I've got!  :)


I made this quilt in 2011, right before I started blogging, and I am really proud of it for many reasons.  My quilt group was doing a medallion project where we learned how to put on various sizes of borders, and to do the math correctly for the borders!  And, by golly, I did the math right on these borders!

The center block is called "Sharon's Star" and I found it on Quilter's Cache.  I chose that block because my mom's name is Sharon.  I didn't keep track of the particular fabrics I chose for it, but I am still enjoying them because the scraps keep finding their way into my current projects!

I'm linking up with Don't Call Me Betsy for Quilty Flashback Friday, a fun new linky party I just discovered. 

6 comments:

CapitolaQuilter said...

Quilter's Cache was the first resource that I discovered and think it's still great. I avoid quilt math at all costs which is probably why I'd do an improv medallion if ever I made one. How nice that your mom displays it proudly and I'm laughing a little to find out that I'm not the only one who forgets to get an official finished photo before gifting.

audrey said...

Oooh, this is lots of fun! And I love the center block has your mom's name. Even better!

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Quilt math is positively something to be proud about - it's a whole lot like rocket science sometimes, so yay for quilt math victories!! Thanks so much for linking up with Quilty Flashback Friday, I'm glad you enjoyed your trip into your quilty past :)

Lara B. said...

LOL... Yes that math is a real kicker and you kicked it back for sure. I love that the center of you medallion is a block with your Mom's name!

Sue said...

What a great quilt and a lovely present for your mum. Quilter's Cache has been my favourite go to resource for a long time! I followed the link to your blog from Flashback Friday and have been scrolling through looking at your lovely work!

Martha said...

What a beautiful quilt and the story behind it.