Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Midweek Update

I realized over the weekend that my sister's birthday was coming up this week and I wanted to make her something for a gift.  I pulled out this Kathy Schmitz embroidery that I did a few years ago and decided it would be fun to give her because my sister and BiL are huge gardeners.

I looked through my stash for something that would go with the color of the clay pots, and found a batik left over from this year's SAHRR that was fall-themed.


These simple borders and straight line quilting, plus a brick red binding made this a quick finish - thank goodness!

I gave it to my sister yesterday and she liked it!  
I meant to take a picture of her with it, but we got busy visiting and 
I never took out my phone.  Oh well.

Once that was done I could start playing with some ideas for my August house for A Year in the Neighborhood.  I loosely base these blocks on the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month - yellow - and something that's going on around my house.  Here are a couple parts I've been working on!




I should have more to share in my Saturday post!
Linking up with The Inquiring Quilter for Wednesday Wait Loss.






11 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

It's nice your sister lives close to you for an in person gifting! I don't remember you stitching that piece, it is really cute and a nice finish Diann.

Anonymous said...

Handmade gifts are the best! You found the perfect border fabric for that pretty embroidery. Nice house parts too. Gail at the cozy quilter.

Linda at Texas Quilt Gal said...

What a sweet gift for your sister! That batik is really perfect as a frame.

Julierose said...

Lovely gift for your Sister;))) Love that batik border you chose...Pretty heart and baby Dresden parts, too.
I am going to be making 1/2 sq. triangles from all my leftover charm squares for some future, as yet unknown, project; just mindless sewing for now...mostly dense flowery prints so pairing with whites...hugs, Julierose ;)))

Kate said...

A very pretty and thoughtful gift for your sister. I like your ideas for this month's house. Looking forward to seeing how you use those inspirations.

PaintedThread said...

What a cute little quilt. I can see why she liked it! Love that little yellow dresden, too.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your sister is going to love that sweet stitchery! I like your use of yellow so far this month!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Aaw what a sweet gift for your sister, Diann. You are so fortunate to be able to spend time with your sis. Oooh the new components for the August block are so pretty. Hmmm Will it be sunflower themed? Have a fabulous day, sweet friend. Hugs.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that a nice gift to your sister - does she live near you so you can visit often? Your stitches are always pretty

piecefulwendy said...

You had all the right things on hand for the perfect gift! And I'm so glad you just enjoyed each other's company an ddidn't worry about photos!

Astrid said...

That is a wonderful gift to your sister! The stitchery is perfect for a gardener, I'm sure she (they both) will love it. It's beautiful and you found the perfect border. Cute heart and mini-Dresden too.