Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, August 21, 2026

An August house for the neighborhood...

Looking through my yellows for something to make this month's house out of, I decided this one would be perfect!  For some reason, the yellow didn't photograph well in this picture, but I had to share the selvage.   Let your light shine!

I think it's a Bonnie and Camille print.

It made a fun house with red accents!


I also decided to play with my tiny Dresden ruler to make a sunflower, and it worked pretty well.  




As you can see in this photo, my sunflower is one of those giant ones, as big as the house!  We saw some of those in the neighborhood the other day - probably 10 feet tall, as compared to a 6 foot fence.


In my rabbit-ravaged garden, I've been able to keep one sunflower alive to the almost blooming stage.  I've been sweet talking it all week -"please bloom for my Saturday blog post!" - but so far it hasn't cooperated.  I know it will bloom any minute now!  🌻🌻🌻

We have it surrounded by chicken wire fencing, 
even over the top (which I took off for this photo, 
to keep the squirrels and rabbits out.  So far, so good!

Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday.
Melva Loves Scraps for Sew and Tell Monday.










15 comments:

Kate said...

Your yellow and red house is darling! So is the sunflower. Fingers crossed your sunflower blooms soon, before some critter gets to it.

Vicki in MN said...

Cute new house in your neighborhood. Those rabbits and squirrels can be such pests!

Anonymous said...

The rabbits in my neighbourhood ate the hostas I planted in our front garden right down to the ground. Brazen creatures kept eating while I walked over to shoo them away! I will have to come up with a plant for the shade that rabbits won’t eat.
Another colourful house for your quilt … and I love the giant sunflower 🌻 too. Gail at the cozy quilter.

PaintedThread said...

My only sunflowers were two volunteers that happened to be fenced in. Pesky rodents! I hope yours blooms soon!

Deb A said...

Love the sunflower mixed in with the houses. Looks like the reL sunflower is thinking of blooming soon.

Linda at Texas Quilt Gal said...

I love that yellow print! It made such a sweet house. The sunflower instead of a tree is just darling. Good luck with that pretty "real" sunflower!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I thought the wire was to keep the sunflower standing tall lol - I love the quilted sunflower too

Jenny said...

What a sweet little house, protected by the giant sunflower. I knew they were tall but 10 feet tall is amazing.

Chantal said...

I want to live in your cute little house. It's full of love so who wouldn't want to be there? It always amazes me how sunflowers can grow so tall in such a small amount of time. Their summer isn't any longer than for the other flowers and yet, they have the time to grow taller than I. Amazing! Good luck with yours. It looks like it's about to bloom. ;^)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I sure like how your neighborhood is coming together. The giant sunflower is a terrific accent!

Melva said...

I remember having very tall sunflowers that the girls planted in school. They were fun to watch grow and bloom throughout the summer. We would then let the heads dry and somehow fashion it into a bird feeder. The squirrels must have been busy with all the black walnuts and acorns that were around the house because they never bothered the sunflowers.

Thanks for sharing in Sew & Tell.

Sue said...

The neighborhood is looking fab & I love this newest addition. And the sunflower is totally the best! Here's hoping to see a sunflower photo soon!

piecefulwendy said...

Your neighborhood looks like a fun community, and the addition of the sunflower is a fun idea!

Angie in SoCal said...

What a cute neighborhood quilt your making! Love the new additions. Good luck with the sunflower!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Now that is one "cute as a button" house. The sky fabric is amazing and makes the house pop. And I adore the grand sunflower block which will accompany it. The neighborhood is growing.