The pattern is my own, but inspired by this quilt made by Preeti at Sew Preeti Quilts. I wanted to feature the fun prints without cutting them up too much. I used the leftover squares to piece the back. More on this project later!
Meanwhile, I also spent some time looking at the October link-ups over at So Scrappy for this year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and decided I definitely want to join in on that next year. So, what block would I use? Maybe a 16 patch? Rainbow colors with low volume backgrounds would be fun, and easy to make as leaders and enders as well. That made me want to experiment a little!
I'll definitely keep going with those!
Another thing on my mind this week has been what to do with the Granny Square blocks I've made. When I first got into the world of quilt blogging I saw the granny square block tutorial over at Blue Elephant Stitches and decided I wanted to make those with my 2.5 inch square scraps. Over the years, I've made about a dozen of them, used them for various projects like mug rugs, and then put them away when I was distracted by something else. Here's one of my favorites:
Then, of course, the remaining ones have become orphan blocks, and I have wondered what I could do with them. I laid them out on my design wall, and looked around for something to sash them with. Finding a whole bunch of 4 inch strips of Kona Maize in my stash, I decided to try that, and now they look like this:
Looking at this photo, I'm seeing how some of the blocks have too much one darker color forming a center square, which I don't think is what they really should look like! So I think I'll keep going with this plan, including using the Kona Maize for borders as well as the sashing, and turn this into a donation quilt for a baby somewhere. These blocks have been fun to play with, but I think I'm ready to move on!
And, finally, a couple more Fresh Spools have been added to my collection:
This week's block over at Fresh Lemons Quilts is the green log cabin one. It turned out to be a little bit trickier pattern, and I couldn't quite figure one part of it, so I modified it and did what worked for me. I still like how it turned out! The little spool is the pattern Faith used for her pincushion in the Crazy Mom Quilts' pincushion bloghop. Faith has generously shared that pattern with us, too! There are two more weeks of spool patterns to go, and then I will have to figure out where I'm going with them. Should turn into a fun mini!
If you gotten this far, thank you for following along on my meandering sewing path! Sometimes, just playing is the best way for awhile!
Linking up with Oh Scrap! like I do every Sunday.