Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, September 30, 2026

I Like Thursday #503

It was my birthday earlier this week, so younger son made me a cake.  It is a sourdough chocolate cake with buttercream frosting.  So yummy!  He made it on Saturday and we are still enjoying it!


Judy sent me some happy squishy mail.  Thank you, Judy!  That was so unexpected and kind of you to do.


We were doing some fall yard clean-up which included cleaning out the flower pots.  The marigolds were about at the end of their season, but I cut a few to bring in.  They're one of my favorite flowers - and a good bridge between summer and fall color!


I just finished this book today, The Calamity Club.   It was really good!  I love a story where women band together to help each other, and this is a story like that.   It's a pretty long book, but worth the read!


LeeAnna's question of the week is about the seasons changing - what is our favorite thing about the shift from summer to fall?  And I have to say it's that change in the temperature when you finally feel like you need a sweatshirt or a quilt to cover up in.  We've had some days like that this week.  They've given me the chance to wear the new hoodie I bought in Michigan!


Hope you're having a great week!
Joining in with Not Afraid of Color for I Like Thursday.












17 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Diann. I hope you had a wonderful celebration. The cake looks so yummy. Your son is the sweetest to make it for you. Marigolds are my favorite blooms. Your bouquet is beautiful. Warm hugs.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Hope you had a Happy Birthday! :)

PaintedThread said...

Sourdough cake. Interesting! And happy birthday.

Vicki in MN said...

Happy Birthday Diann!! Never heard of sour dough cake before but it sure looks yummy! I would have to say my favorite thing about Fall is all the colors it brings out.

Nann said...

New cake concept for me, too--I'll look it up. Glad you enjoyed Calamity Club. And, oh, that t-shirt -- love the saying! I like the golden days of fall (today is not one of them--rain, rain, rain!).

Linda at Texas Quilt Gal said...

Happy belated birthday and I'm so glad there was cake. ;) Wearing sweat-shirts, vests, and boots is what I look forward to all year!

Jeanna said...

Happy belated birthday, Diann. The chocolate cake looks delicious. Judy sent a lovely piece of fabric. Your marigolds are such a pretty color, too. The Calamity Club sounds interesting...I'll have to add it to my list.

Laura said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful birthday, Diann! I have made cake and all sorts of goodies with sourdough...even mac and cheese! So good! Your son is a keeper!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

A happy birthday to you--cake sounds good--don't think I have ever heard of that flavor--but it has to be good it is chocolate after all!!!
I miss flowers here in Florida--we just have 'bushes' that flower for the most part--hugs, di

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have that book but I have not read it yet glad to hear you liked it. My cake didn't last long for my birthday glad you are enjoying yours.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the birthday celebration was wonderful! Your son obviously enjoys baking - sourdough chocolate sounds heavenly. Weather here is still in the 90's each day but upper 50's to low 60's overnight. We can't handle the heat, but I enjoy the cooler temps. We have 2 cords of wood being delivered on Saturday, which our son & grandson will help us to gather & stack since hubby's back won't allow him to do that anymore. Our grandpup will enjoy the daily fires here as he's dropped off pretty regularly. That's how we heat our home & it's the sort of heat that warms from the inside out....lovely for two seniors.

MissPat said...

Belated Happy Birthday. I enjoyed The Calamity Club, too. I listened to the audio version.
Pat

Angela said...

Happy birthday! I like your hoodie. I do love a good hoodie too. Our weather dips tomorrow so I might be getting mine out of the closet.

Deb A said...

Happy Birthday Week! Fall is my favorite time of year... normally the weather cools down a bit and I love seeing colors change, alas I get that through photos my family takes. I'll have to add that to the book list. Thanks!

piecefulwendy said...

Happy Birthday! Enjoy that cake! That sweatchirt looks very cozy, perfect for this crisp weather!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Happy Birthday! That cake looked delicious! I too enjoyed marigolds for the same reason as you! Your arrangement is sure pretty!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday , Diann! That cake looks delicious and the book is on my TBR. The sweatshirt looks very cozy. Perfect for the cooler days. Gail at the cozy quilter.