Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, September 2, 2026

I Like Thursday #499

Did you get to see the lunar eclipse last week?  Younger son was following it with his smart telescope and got some great images of it, including a time lapse video, and this photo.


My sister gave me a bunch of her tomatoes and Mike had peppers from his garden, so we made fresh Pico de Gallo.  Yum!


I checked this book out of the library this week.  It's fascinating to follow Dolly Parton through the years of her career by looking at the costumes she wore.  I think she was an amazing inspiration for being who you are, no matter what other people think!


There's a whole section about the jumpsuits she wore for concerts and their bell bottom pant legs.  I got a kick out of this photo of her rainbow of "bells!"  She started out with a friend sewing these for her.  


LeeAnna's question of the week is about summer - I know it's the end of summer when...
the light starts to change.  Not just darker mornings and earlier evenings, but the angle of it changes.  It comes in different windows than it has all summer.  In our house it's the back porch window.  By the end of this month, I'll have to start closing those blinds because of the sun.


Joining in with Not Afraid of Color for I Like Thursday.




8 comments:

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Bummer , I missed the eclipse. Wow that is a wonderful image that your son was able to capture of it. I loved Dolly Parton. She was an amazing person and classy! She was a treasure. I will have to check into that book. Thank you for the recommendation. Have a lovely evening, Diann. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

We started rewatching 9-5 last night, until I started falling asleep…. We will finish it tonight. I like the way Dolly shared her wealth to improve the lives of others. Her music, her attitude and her philanthropy are her legacy. The light is changing here too. My flowers are fading a bit too. Gail at the cozy quilter.

Kate said...

Dolly was unique. Her fashion would work for most, but it certainly did for her. Normally we start seeing milder temps this time if year, that hasn't happened yet. Still feels like mid summer even if the light is changing.

Linda at Texas Quilt Gal said...

What a beautiful eclipse photo. We missed the eclipse, but our 10 yo granddaughter and her step-Dad got some great iPhone photos of it! I think it's sad Dolly isn't around to see all the tributes to her. I really started liking her in Nine to Five, she was a good actress!

Donna said...

I will have to see if my library carries that Dolly book. I would love to see a traveling show of all her costumes. I loved seeing Elvis’s costumes at Graceland.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Dolly was an amazing performer and philanthropist. She gave a lot of money to causes quietly without fanfare. She gave $1 million to our area after Hurricane Helene to help with clean up, and I would bet that most people don't know that. Her commitment to her Tennessee roots was unwavering, building to help her rural communities.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

We had clouds so I didn't see the eclipse. Your photo is awesome! Dolly had a unique fashion sense and she was an amazing business woman. I agree with you about the light changing, I also say I can smell Fall coming. The air has a different smell which I notice early morning.

Angela said...

I didn't see the eclipse. That is an amazing photo!