Friday, September 11, 2026

A pretty purple placemat...

My scrappy placemat for September -

I started out the month cutting out 4.5 inch squares from each purple I pulled out of my stash, and ended up with this group of 12.  I originally thought I'd just use them this way to keep it a simple and quick project.

But that was kind of boring.

So, instead, I decided to add a strip of cream Grunge and trim that to 4.5 inches.  And I liked that so much better.


Those squares turned into this!


The columbine print I purchased at the Estes Park quilt shop made the perfect binding.



I had enough of a lavender solid 
to use for the backing.

And here's the whole rainbow!


Sharing at SoScrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday.


















17 comments:

  1. Good change up! I like it with the strip of grunge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty purples. You have quite the rainbow of placemats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding the cream strips to the purple changed it completely - good idea too! All of your rainbow of placemats look good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The placemats are all so bright and colorful! The purple makes a really pretty one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love that! It really added oomph to those pretty purples. Your design reminds me - you sent me some beautiful purple/green fabric once, and I found it the other day and was oohing and aahing and wondering why it got shuffled into the closet. So I've added that box to the chaos in my sewing room - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice collection of placemats, Diann. I tend to call mine table mats because I'm more known to use them on end tables and such. I also find myself always checking scrappy quilts for same fabrics that I have or had. Do you do that also? ;>"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another pretty placemat, Diann! Nice collection of colorful placemats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another lovely placemat, Diann. Perfect way to stretch those PURPLE squares!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this placemat is so pretty , Diann. I could imagine this design in even a larger quilt. The purples you used are so luscious and I love how you use fabric from your trips in your quilts. I am sure they bring back fond memories. Enjoy your weekend. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cream stripes really brightened up this piece. I love your rainbow of little quilts :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A rainbow of place mats, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hadn't started purple I will need to remember to do that. I'm very late checking blogs today

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another great scrappy placemat! I will need to dig into my purple scraps this week. Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea to use contrast strips between the squares of your purple placemat! It really punches it up. Great work, Diann!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a good idea to use the grunge to give those purples a little space to shine even more! Your binding choice was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty purples. Your rainbow of placemats is really fun. Lots of options to go with your mood or meal.

    ReplyDelete