Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Old and New

When I first started quilting, almost 20 years ago now, I made several quilts from the same pattern, Yellow Brick Road, by Atkinson Designs.  Most were given away, except for this one, which is one of the first quilts I kept for myself.


This is a really simple quilt to make - a lap size needs 12 far quarters, plus yardage for borders, backing, and binding.  The quilt above is made from fabric my quilt group dyed in a member's backyard one summer day way back when!  We had fun with that experience and I enjoyed making this quilt out of the fabric afterwards.  I added in the black yardage, and used scraps from the dyed fat quarters for the binding.  For quilting, I tied it with variegated embroidery floss.

When my oldest son asked me to make him a new quilt, I thought of this pattern, and back in December I bought 12 fat quarters of Grunge to make his quilt with.


Recently, I've had the chance to get the blocks cut and pieced for this quilt.  They go together pretty fast - you cut each fat quarter into 6.5 and 3.5 inch strips, then sew the strips together in various combinations, cut again, and sew up three different sets of blocks.


I played with a layout yesterday afternoon, and came up with this - 


It's meant to be random and has a scrappy look to it, which I really like.  It shouldn't take long to get this flimsy sewn together, and a border added.  


This pattern uses up all the fabric pretty efficiently - only a few scraps are left, and mostly because I cut wrong once or twice...(wink!)  Fortunately, there were plenty of pieces that I cut right!


Hope you are having a relaxing Sunday!  

Sharing at Quilting is More Fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!  










21 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

What a great quilt for a guy! Perfect pattern and love the fabric.

Chantal said...

Wow! It is a fast quilt to put together. It looks great. Enjoy! ;^)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have never made that pattern but I remember when a lot were making it, it will never go out of style

Linda said...

Grunge! My fave fabric. You can never have enough. ;) Love the layout. I was just looking at that pattern yesterday. It was one of the first patterns I bought when I started quilting, and I've never made it! It is still a favorite. I am making my son a quilt this year and I think I'll use that pattern!

Linda said...

I forgot to mention how much I like your older quilt! How neat using fabric you dyed yourself.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a perfect pattern for those grunge fabrics!! and your original - I LOVE the pops of color!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Grunge was a great choice for your quilt. I really like the colors you put together. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That used to be my Go To pattern for all sorts of occasions. Your son's quilt is going to be wonderful!!

Libby in TN said...

I've never done a YBR. It definitely looks like an easy pattern to whip up quickly.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I love the colour combo for your son's quilt, it'll look great! Yayee for the occasional quick quilt!

Ivani said...

Perfect pattern to sit, sew and have fun.

Jennifer said...

I haven't visited in awhile- you have a lot of great stuff going on! I love those scrappy sprouts blocks! (but I WILL NOT start another RSC project!!!)

make.share.give said...

That looks fun to make- especially with those really cool colors.

make.share.give said...

That looks fun to make- especially with those really cool colors.

Robby said...

I've made a few of those myself. At one point, I knew the concept well enough to just cut the blocks I needed out of scraps. I'm certain I didn't have the exact right mix of pieces per the pattern, but you learn quickly you can mix and match things. I'm sure your son will be delighted with this quilt.

KatieQ said...

I've had this pattern on my shelf since it first came out. Yours looks so good in the Grunge fabrics, it makes me want to pull it out and make it. The colors look great. I'm sure your son will like it.

Karen S said...

The colour combination is working really well. Perfect pattern choice.

Vicki in MN said...

I have never done that pattern, but I sure like the look. I think it is perfect for a guy especially with the fabrics you chose. You probably already have it sewn together!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

That was one of the first patterns I used also. I made my son a quilt. about 5 years ago. I need to do that again cause your color combos are so cool.

frayed at the edge said...

I have a similar pattern which makes a smaller quilt from 6 fat quarters - a quick and easy make. I love the grunge fabrics, and have a quilt on my to-do list using spotty grunge.

Sandy Panagos said...

The YBR you kept for yourself is so cool. I love the black in with the paler colors! Grunge fabrics are so perfect for a masculine YBR. Your son will love it.