Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, November 19, 2017

And one more project...

Last week I was the lucky recipient of this pretty pile of fabric from Alison of Little Bunny Quilts!


It is 20 WOF 2.5 inch strips from Island Batik's Northern Woods collection and 1/4 yard of a light brown with some green going through it.  Alison used the rest of this fabric for her beautiful Faceted Friendship Star quilt!  Thanks for sharing, Alison!

I think this might be my favorite piece -  it reminds me of aspen trees in the Colorado woods.


Or this one - golden snowflakes on dark brown.  Beautiful!


When you get something unexpected like this in the mail, what do you do?  Well, I dove right in and started playing!  Inspired by PaulaB's batik strips quilt top, I cut the 20 strips into 10.5 inch pieces, and then sewed them into dark and light pairs.


I also cut a few of these strip pairs in half so that when I laid the blocks out, I got this offset bricks pattern.


I really like the pops of turquoise, blue-green, and orange in among the earthy tones.

As it stands right now, if I sew all the strip pairs together, I think the quilt top would come out at about 33.5 x 50, not really big enough to be useful yet.  I've never sewn with batiks much, so don't have scraps to add into the mix either.  So, it's back to the mulling stage for this one.  

Any advice?  

Sharing at Quilting is More Fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!





13 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

This is so pretty! Good choice of pattern and the colors are wonderful! Have fun!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love the print that looks like aspen trees - I love those trees! how about using it for a table topper?

The Joyful Quilter said...

I absolutely LOVE the fact that you were inspired by Paula's quilt (and acted on it right away.) It's looking good! However, I'm missing the random vertical color pops in your version. Best of luck interpreting what the quilt wants next!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love what you have so far. Do you have any little bits that you can turn into 4 patches and sprinkle them throughout? Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap! I know you will figure out something fun!

Kate said...

Very pretty. I like the pops of turquoise too. If you made it longer than it is wide, it would make a very pretty table runner.

PaulaB quilts said...

Great colors. I'm honored that you would do this. What about a couple of borders in solids, like aqua and orange, to bring it up to 45 x 60? I'm adding them to make mine adult size to send to Covered In Love.

Vicki in MN said...

Isn't it fun playing with Island Batiks!!! So happy you got to try them out. Love what you are coming up with. But yes I think you could add some solids in there and be fine. I mix regular cottons with batiks sometimes. You could add a solid strip in between some of the rows perhaps.

Cathy said...

Oh, gosh...another lucky win of fabrics and you've got blocks made already? Wonderful!

I mull about things before I go to bed. Then when I wake up I seem to have dreamed the answer to my mullings. Try it!

I mix batiks with other cottons and don't keep them separate.

Pam @ Quilting Fun said...

Congratulations on your win. Love what you have done and can’t wait to see where it will end up.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I miss your Aspens in Colorado!Love that fabric. If I receive or buy fabric, I like to lay it out and just admire it. I would probably use some cotton dark borders to offset your strips. I think it's cool you made a top right away. mary in Az

Alison V. said...

Yay I'm so glad you're loving them! What about putting some of strips of the yardage fabric in between the strip sets and making it more square?

Preeti said...

Congratulations on your win. you are correct - it does look like Aspen. Playing is my natural reaction too. Love how it is evolving. Whatever it becomes, it will be lovely. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Edith said...

So pretty, what a great use of this batik gift. I too like the pops of turquoise.