Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

I Like Thursday #52

Welcome to I Like Thursday!  Doesn't this fun little glass make you smile?


I found it at the dollar store, and actually bought two, so both Mike and I could have one.  Sure makes drinking a glass of water more fun!

I like these funny little birds who have been visiting our yard lately.  They are Red-breasted Nuthatches, and they are almost always upside down!  Their larger cousin, the White-breasted Nuthatch, has been around, too.  We've been enjoying watching these birds at our feeders.



I like my local public library - for many reasons - but lately because of these bookbags that they stock for book clubs.


This section of the library is called Priscilla's Bookshelf, named after a longtime library patron who loved reading and books.  Priscilla's friends donated money after she died to honor her memory and promote her love of reading in our community.


This is the book my bookclub read this month, which came out of the bag from the library.  I loved this book, and would recommend it if you enjoy historical fiction set during World War II.

I love this cross-stitched pillow that a friend made me for my birthday!


It's meant to be Christmas-y, but I'm leaving it out all year!  Joy!  

This week I've enjoyed working on this little block which is a free pattern from Cheri Payne, through the Quilts by Cheri Facebook page.  A big thank you goes to Jocelyn of Canadian Needle Nana who enjoys this kind of stitchery and told us about it.

Here is how my block looked on Sunday - 


And here is how it looks now -  


I glue-basted the pieces and stitched them down as raw-edge applique.  It has been fun choosing the fabrics and doing the hand stitching.  Where the buttons are placed, the pattern shows circles, but I thought buttons would be fun instead.  I'm planning to finish this up as a mini quilt with a little bit of hand quilting and binding.

I just realized that this is my 52nd I Like Thursday post, which means I've been writing these for a year now!  Thanks go to LeeAnna, as always, for getting me started on this endeavour, and one that I now look forward to every week.  Be sure to check out all the other Thursday bloggers at Not Afraid of Color!  






13 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love the smiley face mugs - I used to have the t-shirt of course years ago - love that kind of stuff- I need to find some new "flea markets" to go to, haven't been to one in awhile.
the birds are coming back now that I have the feeder back out - I don't bother with it in the summer time

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Nuthatches are one of my favorite birds. I usually have a couple nests in my yard every year. Your little pumpkin mini is adorable!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I'd leave that pillow out too, so cute! We have the white breasted nuthatches here, and they all hang upside down on the feeders too.

LA Paylor said...

congrats on a year of likes! Wonderful! that image of the bird is priceless.

deb said...

Raw edge applique is my favorite kind! Love what you've done...

Michele McLaughlin said...

Your block looks fabulous! Your xmas pillow is fun too! Have a wonderful day!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

A Smiley glass-so cute. I'm likin that book you suggested. sounds like something I could get at the library next time.
Your pumpkin block is sweet. Have a great week! mary in Az

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Diann,
Those glasses are too cute - you can either smile when you take a drink or when you see Mike doing so! Those birds!! Upside down! I never have seen such a thing. I need to expand my birdwatching. I am enjoying through you. I have not tried glue-basting but it looks like a great idea. I hate the stiffness of the iron-on, and I'll bet this washes out easily? Does good 'ole Elmer's work for this? ~smile~ Roseanne

PaintedThread said...

Nuthatches are so much fun. That cross stitched pillow is adorable. I like your autumn applique, too.

Julierose said...

Really love your pumpkin block--just so cute--I am not on either facebook or instagram so I cannot get her adorable patterns--but do enjoy seeing how everyone does their own version...such fun hugs, Julierose

Kate said...

That is a fun little glass. You made a lot of progress on the applique block.

MissPat said...

Happy first "I like" anniversary. I love the snowman joy pillow. I would leave it out all year too.
Pat

Preeti said...

I have been reading Alexander McCall Smith too. Love his books about the #1 Ladies Detective Agency set in Botswana. Congrats on your anniversary.