Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Fall Projects

On our recent trip to McMinnville, Oregon, I visited Boersma's Sewing Center, and brought home a small fat quarter bundle from a fabric line called Autumn Road.  I really like these fun prints, especially the bicycles!


As soon as I saw the quilt along that Carole at From My Carolina Home had planned for her Autumn Jubilee series, "Stars on Autumn Lane," I knew what I could use these for! (Click the link if you would like to learn more about the QAL.) Five fat quarters and some background fabric would be just the right amount to make a table topper from her pattern, so I got to work cutting!


I am pretty much a slow poke when it comes to making and trimming a large number of HSTs, but I'm on the way, and even had a chance to put together one large star, which is this week's step.  (We are to make five of these.)


I'll continue to work on cutting, trimming, and sewing the rest of these stars together this week, and look forward to the next step coming up on Friday.

I also decided to get started on a small applique project that I found out about through Jocelyn from Canadian Needle Nana.  I always admire her embroidery and applique work, and she mentioned a Facebook group, Quilts by Cheri, where some free applique patterns are shared.

After joining the group, I found and downloaded this fun little block, and have been getting the pieces cut to work on this afternoon.


I thought I'd try glue basting the pieces to the background (thank you, Cathy, for sending me this fabric adhesive - it's working perfectly for this!)


Since my applique skills are limited to raw edge applique, that is my plan for this, and I'm planning to enjoy some slow stitching this afternoon while watching some football with Mike.  

Linking up these fun fall projects to Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun than Housework and Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts.










19 comments:

Jayne said...

I really like the star idea and just might be a good fit for the many HST's I have stacking up. Trimming them is always a long process, but I've come to rely on my my Bloc-Loc ruler which makes it much quicker!

Libby in TN said...

Love your bundle! I trim most of my HSTs at the kitchen counter while I'm keeping an eye on dinner prep. A glass of wine keeps me motivated, too. Our boys in two-tone blue don't play till Monday night.

gayle said...

That's a fun bundle of prints! I love your stars. (And am noting the four-patch center...)

Quilter Kathy said...

ENjoy a wonderful afternoon of stitching and football... a perfect way to spend a day!
Love that new fabric, especially that grey fabric!

Deb A said...

What a great pattern! Enjoy your stitching.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your stars - can never go wrong with star blocks I think they make beautiful quilts.

Chantal said...

I love your big star even if it's full of HSTs. Thanks for the link to Carole's blog. I might start a new quilt. Ha! Good luck with the applique. It looks like a great beginning. Enjoy! ;^)

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

It is always fun to start a new project. This one is going to be perfect for Fall. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

You have some very cute projects started there! Stars are always a hit and should make a great table topper.

Suzanne said...

I just saw this fabric line this week at my Local quilt store. I like the bicycle print too. The star block is perfect for showing off the prints.

CathieJ said...

I love the fabric bundle that you bought. I agree that the bicycle fabric is great. Your star looks so pretty.

Sherrill said...

Love Cheri's block but, after asking twice already, still have not been 'approved' to join the group :-( Maybe I'm bad news! LOL

Cathy said...

Well, thank YOU for the fun new links to explore. Both of your projects are going to be yummy!!

Vicki in MN said...

Diane, you really need to invest in a block lock ruler for trimming your HST's, I just love mine and use it a lot. Now I gotta go check out the QAL, I don't have time to do one right now but gotta look at least!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Thank you for the mention on your blog! Good luck in the drawings!

MissPat said...

I like your star block and the fabrics you chose. I never finished Caole's Autumn Jubilee project from last year, so I decided to sit this out. Happy Fall.
Pat

Kristi said...

Glad to see you are working on Stars on Autumn Lane! I finished my HST's today and have started laying out the stars. Hopefully I can get the stars together before Friday! Your fabric is really fun!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I'm lovin that star block!

Kate said...

Stars on Autumn Lane is going to be a fun project in those fabrics. Hope you got in lots of stitching this weekend.