Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Fall Projects, Part 2

Stars on Autumn Lane QAL

Carole of From My Carolina Home posted the directions for Block B for the Stars on Autumn Lane QAL on Friday.

After finishing up the cutting, trimming, and organizing of the bits and pieces for this project -


 the five stars for the first part went together really quickly!


There are two choices for Block B, depending on what we want our final setting to be.  At first  I wasn't sure what I wanted to do because I like them both!  I decided to lay out some cut pieces in both blocks, thinking that might help me make the decision.

This...


or this...


Having always wanted to include Depression Blocks in a project somewhere, I decided to go with the second design, and have sewn one so far.


Only three more are needed so they should go together quickly, too.

In my slow stitching time this week...

I finished up all of the applique on my pumpkin block and added some hand quilting around the shapes.  I really enjoyed planning out what to do and choosing scraps for each part.


A little more quilting is needed and the binding (which matches the bird's wing) sewn on, and then this one will be all done!


A fun and satisfying slow stitching project!

and at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.








19 comments:

Jayne said...

Great blocks! I love seeing how the B block can be changed up! Either layout would be perfect!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Such pretty blocks and enjoy finishing up your applique / quilting project ; perfect for fall.

Chantal said...

I really love your Stars on Autumn Lane quilt. I plan to make one too. Great job with the applique project. ;^)

Deb said...

Love the block b the second is my favorite, cute little pumpkin block too.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Thanks, Diann!! Your quilt is looking wonderful!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Isn't it amazing what we can do with HST's!!!! Your pumpking block is wonderful

Quilter Kathy said...

A lovely fall hand stitching project to enjoy today!
Your Autumn Lane project is awesome too!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love your fabric choices in your new fall project. Those stars look great. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

CathieJ said...

I like the block that you chose to use. It looks beautiful. I really like that pumpkin applique too.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Oh your stars are so perfect, Diann; what wonderful colours you chose. And your bird/pumpkin block is beautiful. I hope you had as much fun stitching yours as I did mine!Happy Sunday Stitching!

Kristi said...

Love your block choice! I have 4 more to sew. Hopefully I'll have them done this afternoon!

Kate said...

Your Stars of Autumn is going together beautifully! I really like your fabric choices for those blocks. Your pumpkin block turned out beautifully too! Enjoy your slow stitching today.

gayle said...

Both your fall projects are beautiful! I've been watching the Autumn Lane QAL, and the choice between block A and block B is a tough one! Looks like you chose wisely!

Deb A said...

Love that pumpkin appliqué! The stars are pretty too.

PaulaB quilts said...

Your choice for block B is great, sort of opposites with one colored in the,center and the other with color on the edges. Beautiful autumn fabrics.

Karen S said...

Your star blocks look great. Lovely fabrics and colours. The B blocks work in well, too.
Lovely work on the pumpkin applique as well. nearly finished!
Cheers, Karen
http://sunburntquilts.com.au/

Vicki in MN said...

I like what I see of your Autumn QAL. I downloaded the pattern so maybe I can do it later on-I certainly have enough scraps to do it! The pumpkin applique looks wonderful!

Cathy said...

Your appliqué Block is just too cute — I’m so impressed! I’m enjoying your participation in the Autumn QAL vicariously; I almost joined but have too many other ongoing projects. But I love your fabrics and pattern selections, so it’s all the fun without the work! Hugs...

claudia said...

The B Block is perfect with the A Blocks! The colors for this quilt are great, they made me smile!
Your slow stitching project is very cute!