Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Still playing...

There was something I just had to try this week, after reading a tutorial on Improv Spikes by Debbie from A Quilter's Table.

I still had a pile of pink and peach Kona Cotton solids out on my cutting table, so I gave these fun little blocks a try.  All you really need are a print rectangle scrap and a neutral background rectangle scrap, and the spikes are born!  (I didn't take any in progress photos, but check out the tutorial to see Debbie's.)


I added one piece of bright green and one piece of peachy polka dots to my original plan, just to make this project more interesting.


This little mat ended up to be about 9.5" x 10.5", and although it looks a bit wonky in the photo, it is pretty close to square!

I love these pinky-orange bricks that made the perfect backing!


Maybe it would be fun to use this little piece to hold some hand stitching tools!



Hope you are enjoying a great weekend!  I'll be linking up to Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun than Housework to see what other scrappy quilters have been up to this week!


14 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

Howdy! Really like this piece and thanks for referring us to her tutorial! The green triangle really kicks it up to the next level, great choice! Have a great day! I would keep this one :D

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

What a lovely mini quilt. The colors speak of late summer.
And, a perfect backing. Enjoy! mary

Jayne said...

Your spikes are the same colors as my current quilt...minus the green! I saw Debbie's tutorial and got the itch to make some as well. Although that's as far as I've gotten with them...a thought!

Libby in TN said...

I've been wanting to try them after seeing Debbie's tutorial, too. Maybe after I get the studio back in order. Love the pop of green!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

nice to use up your scraps immediately isn't it and not let them become part of the pile of scraps that seem to take over our sewing rooms at times. - pretty

Jasmine said...

Such a cute little piece. I like the pop of green a lot.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Cute! How nice you could put your scraps from your cutting table right to work. It turned out great. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

PaulaB quilts said...

Sweet little piece! You did put these scraps to good use.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A cute way to use up those scraps! Love the colour combo, especially the rogue 'pop' of green!

Deb A said...

What a fun pattern! Love the added touch of the green and peach.

Vicki in MN said...

Looks great, did you save the little cut off's and going to use them in another project, or did you draw the line on that, hehe???

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Loved "Falling slowly" so thanks for the link that worked for me..yay! Always good to learn new things too. Meanwhile, you have been quilting with such pretty coloured fabrics. This mat is sweet. Always a treat to visit you!

Kate said...

Beautiful and rich colors! That little bit of green really makes the other colors shine.

Sandra Walker said...

just adore the useful things we build from stuff that others might toss. This is so pretty, and what a great idea to toss in that green! Love! Love the backing too. Thanks for linking this little squirrel up with DrEAMi!