Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, September 30, 2016

October!

How is it possible that September has gone by already?  As it is one of my favorite months, I hated to see it go!  But I am excited to see what's up for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this month.

While I was waiting for October 1st to roll around, I decided to lay out my Scrap Jar Star blocks just to look at them all together once again.  I'm getting anxious (in a good way, I promise!) to see what will happen with this quilt!

I wonder what colors are missing!

For one last September rainbow project, I decided my husband's special mug needed its own mug rug to sit on.  This mug commemorates that he was a member of Helicopter Support Squadron One while in the Navy back in the late 60s and early 70s. They were a helicopter squadron who rescued people (jet fighter pilots) out of the ocean during the Viet Nam War.  He found this mug online a few months ago and uses it for his coffee every morning.


It had been sharing space with my favorite fall mug on the flying geese mini I made earlier in September.


But that just wasn't working for me!  Not enough room, and it was covering up those wonderful flying geese!
So I decided to use some of my Quilty 365 orange peel blocks to make his mug its own little mini quilt.


Dark red, gold, blue, and some stars.  Perfect!


That's so much better!


Happy Scrap Happy Saturday to everyone!






15 comments:

Kate said...

I really like those stars! Looking forward to seeing that one all together.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Almost a quilt top! Your stars look fantastic. How sweet to make your husband his own mug rug. It is even big enough for a cookie or two on the side :)

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

Those are great stars. Can't wait to see those blocks done. Thanks to your husband for his service. Glad to see he got his own rug.

gayle said...

Happy Scrap Happy Saturday to you, too!
Those stars are really impressive all laid out! Enjoy all the fun of deciding how to set them!

Marly said...

Lovely stars and coming along nicely. It looks as if you nearly have enough.

Jasmine said...

Your star blocks look so pretty together. I especially love the squares in the corners.

Alison V. said...

Your stars are looking awesome!

Chantal said...

I want to make a Scrap Jar Star quilt too. I love yours so much. I don't see a navy blue star in there, maybe that could be a choice? Love your newest mug rug. Very well done. So sweet that you give it to your hubby in order to have your space. So typical of my place too. ;^)

Karen said...

Your stars are progressing nicely. I love the peel mug rug. Tell your husband thank you for his service. My husband was in the Marines during the Vietnam War.

LA Paylor said...

like the story of the three bears... mama had the middle sized rug, Dad had the BIG rug! Love that. Just something I might have made if I'd thought of it!

The Joyful Quilter said...

SJS brings a smile to my face. I absolutely LOVE it!!! Glad you made your DH's mug its own little quilted mat. Hope he treats is well!!

Beausoleil Quilts said...

Your star quilt is going to be so beautiful. A great advertisement for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge

PaulaB quilts said...

His mug rug is even patriotic and big enough too. Your blocks look so great together, even the little secondary white squares standing out. I know your finish will be great. Good luck with it.

Linda said...

Love your Scrap Jar Stars - it will make a stunning quilt. And the mug rug for your husband IS perfect!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Your scrap jars quilt is comeing along so nicely!