Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Sunday, September 11, 2016

A September Mini

Although I've been following along with people who are sewing the Splendid Sampler blocks, I haven't been participating myself.  When I read Cynthia's post about her newest pincushion, made from a Splendid Sampler block, I loved it so much I decided I needed to make something out of that pattern, too!

The block, which is paper-pieced, is called Homeward Bound and you can find out more about it by clicking HERE.  The finished mini is about 6 1/2 x 6 1/2.


I decided to make my mini in the colors of a fall rainbow.  


It's backed in the beautiful gold that I used for my Circle of Friendship wall-hanging, and bound in the red from that same fabric collection.

I think it's perfect for my favorite fall mug - 


And one more shot, just for fun, nestled among my marigolds and geraniums.


Sometimes you just have to go for it when inspiration strikes!  I'm glad I did.

Linking up with Cynthia's Oh Scrap! over at Quilting is More Fun than Housework today!






13 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

It's so cute, I am really liking all the mini's I see on blogland! I am afraid it might be sucking me in sometime, LOL
I need a fall mini for my front door.

Ariane said...

Super cute!!

Kat said...

Lovely colors! "Fall rainbow" is perfect!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

A great way to celebrate fall. I live your fabric choices. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

The Joyful Quilter said...

The perfect Autumn mug rug!!

Bernie Kringel said...

So cute! It looks especially pretty with the geraniums and marigolds. Lovely color :-)

Christine B said...

Love your use of this Splendid Sampler Block.... I have been participating but have slipped behind with the blocks.... your mini quilt has made me want to catch up again! Christine x

FlashinScissors said...

I love your mini, great quilting!
I'm participating in the Splendid Sampler too, although I haven't made many blocks!
It's great to see so many blocks on the web for inspiration.
Barbara x

Karen's Korner said...

You have certainly captured the colours of autumn in your mini.

Linda said...

So cute! Makes me long to make a mini, or anything for that matter! :)

gayle said...

Adorable! And it really is perfect with that mug!

Nicky said...

It definitely says Autumn - will there be a Winter one to follow? Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday.

Miaismine said...

I like Nicky's question - a mug rug for every season......for gifts even....your idea has truly inspired me! Thank you!