Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Scrappy Things

My mom is coming to visit tomorrow - she comes every year about this time to celebrate her birthday with the family.  So instead of much sewing this week, you know what I've been doing!  Yes - cleaning... although I would much rather be sewing!  I have had the time to work on a couple of small things - blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge and my Log Cabin Loonies project.

I finished up my six 16 patch blocks for August in shades of light purple and gray with a few other little colors thrown in.


I was just doing a little math and realized that I now have 48 of these sweet blocks!  It's going to be fun to lay them out again and see how this quilt is looking!

I also wanted to finish up a few more of my 12 inch log cabin blocks because the full moon is coming up! There are 9 of these blocks now.


This month I added 3 new blocks - a turquoise one and a black and white one - 


and an orange one.  Before I made this orange block, I was looking at the other eight, and I just knew it needed an orange one.  I love orange!



While my mom is here, I don't know if I'll make it into my sewing room, so I'm going to need a hand sewing project to work on while we sit and visit.  I'd better go see what I can dig up!

Later this week, I'll be linking up with my favorite places:
ScrapHappy Saturday at SoScrappy
Log Cabin Loonies at JulieK Quilts.

See you there!



23 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Have a great time celebrating with your mom. You have so many lovely projects to share with her. Seeing your log cabins makes me want to start one of my own.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I'm enjoying watching your progress on these log cabins... they look wonderful all together! Enjoy your time with your mum.

Preeti said...

Honestly, cleaning is so overrated. It gets dirty again UGH!!! Love your log cabins - all the colors. I love orange too.
Hugs,
Preeti.

Kate said...

Both RSC projects are coming together beautifully. I love those Log Cabin blocks!

Deb A said...

Both are looking good but I just love your log cabin blocks. You were right, it needed orange =)

Katie Z. said...

Nice work!

Sandra Walker said...

I've come here for a little light purple and grey inspiration and well, thank you, I've got some! I haven't been feeling the colour combo this month; did purple and green earlier this year, and grey doesn't feel 'rainbow' to me. Have a great visit with your mom; I can totally relate to the 'cleaning vs sewing' sentiments!

Karen said...

I really am enjoying your log cabin blocks. They are calling me to make soon. Have a wonderful time with your mom and family.

Cathy said...

I have a weak spot for log cabins, and yours are simply devine! Can't wait to see these fun projects all come together. Meantime, enjoy your mother's visit!

PaulaB quilts said...

Just remember that thread bits on carpet or chairs, beds, etc so not count as dirt!

Ivani said...

Love the log cabin. Your bloks will be turned into a wonderful quilt. I understand your sentiment about cleaning X sewing. Have a great time with your mom.

gayle said...

Well of course it needed an orange block! 8)

Libby in TN said...

I really love the clear definition in your log cabin blocks. Everything can use a little orange in my book.

Peggyinno said...

Love the log cabins, so bright and cheerful!
Have a great time with your mother this week and may she have a very Happy Birthday!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love the scrappy log cabins! have a great visit

Jayne said...

Love your log cabin blocks! Rainbows are hard to beat! Cleaning is over rated, but you gotta do! Especially if your mom is visiting!

quiltingbydawn said...

I love log cabin blocks and your rainbow colors are wonderful!

julieQ said...

Wow! I love your beautiful rainbow log cabin blocks...gorgeous! Thank you for linking up and sharing!

Tu-Na Quilts said...

Absolutely wonderful rainbow log cabin blocks! Love the use of white with them. Now that's on my to do list. Karen @ Tu-Na Quilts, Travels, and Eats

Cathy said...

Love the Log Cabins! I hate cleaning! Thank goodness I rarely have visitors!

Pam said...

I love how you choose the colors for your log cabin. That will be a stunner!

Quilter Kathy said...

Love these rainbow log cabin blocks... so pretty!

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

great colors.......