Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Friday, July 15, 2016

A Watermelon Tote

My sewing this week seemed to involve lots of ADD!  (Or is that QADD?!)  I decided it was time to get back to working on a larger quilt project I started back in the winter (more about that in tomorrow's post), so I did some Rainbow Scrap Challenge Sewing as leaders and enders.

I ended up with two Double Four Patches - a dark and a light.


And some Log Cabins to keep using those scrappy strings - a pink one and most of a purple.  The purple one is still in progress - it needs to have a few more logs added to bring it up to 12 1/2 inches!


But what I couldn't get out of my head was a comment "conversation" I had with someone last week about how I had enough of my watermelon fabric to make a new tote bag.  I guess as soon as I said that, I had to make one!


This is made from some charms of Hometown Girl by Pat Sloan for Moda, with the addition of some black and white polka dots and the watermelon fabric I showed off last week used for the straps and lining.  The Hometown Girl charms I chose were perfect for July's watermelon theme with dark pink and lime green prints.


I've made several of these tote bags in the last couple of years, based on a tutorial by Missouri Star Quilt Company (search their YouTube channel for "Three Totes from One Charm Pack").  I use them in place of a purse and I wear them out!  Every time I make a new tote bag, I change it up a little bit!  This time I wanted it to be a little wider and a little deeper, with shorter straps than I've made recently.


I added a divided pocket inside to hold things like my phone and keys, and all those little things that inevitably fall to the bottom of your bag.  This bag is really roomy enough to carry my tablet or e-reader, one of which usually goes with me wherever I go.  I just finished it up this afternoon, and I'm already enjoying it!

I also spent some time this week admiring the Monkey blocks on my design wall, and making sure they were behaving!


So far, so good!

Hope everyone is having a great July!  I'll be spending some time tomorrow at ScrapHappy Saturday over at SoScrappy getting some more Rainbow inspiration!







14 comments:

Katie Z. said...

Your bag looks great!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Those monkey blocks are so cute! But I cannot start another quilt. Hmmm

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

What a cute tote and the monkey blocks look awesome!

Ivani said...

For sure it is a cute tote! The monkey blocks collection are looking good together.

PaulaB quilts said...

What a fun and practical tote. Who would not want one, all the watermelons and no,messy juice. Have a fun week!

The Joyful Quilter said...

No naughty Monkeys. YES... leader/ender progress. Your new tote is TOO cute!!

Karen said...

Your tote is adorable. Very pretty log cabin blocks.

gayle said...

Keep an eye on those monkeys - you never know what they'll get up to next!
Love your tote bag. That watermelon fabric gives a perfect summery look!

Cathy said...

What a cute tote! Thank goodness I already have a BIG monkey block quilt or I would have to dig in and make some of those cuties.

Pamela Arbour said...

You sure have a lot of nice projects going. I am looking forward to seeing them all finished. I like how you put the watermelon fabric as a liner in the tote. Nice touch for the July color!

Alison V. said...

Your block collection looks great! :)

Sheila said...

I LOVE your tote!

Kate said...

I really like the log cabin blocks. Your Monkey blocks seem to be behaving, they are certainly cute.

Sandra Walker said...

There are just SO MANY innovative ways to use our scraps, huh? Glad you made that watermelon fabric-lined tote! A girl can never have too many bags. ;-)