Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Little Penguin Quilts Through the Year

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Scrap Vortex Flimsy

I am so excited this week to have finished up my Scrap Vortex flimsy!  It has actually been quite challenging for me and a good learning experience!

I started it way back in June with these little bits:


And kept going throughout the summer and fall a little at a time:


And now I have this:


It measures about 50 x 62, and will be the perfect size for snuggling up with a good book in my favorite chair!

It has some of my favorite fabrics from other quilts and projects in it, which makes it so fun to look at.  Kind of a grown-up I Spy quilt!


It also has fabrics I don't ever recall buying, but there they were in my scrap basket.  I bet we all have some of those!

When I first started this quilt, I didn't expect it to be as challenging as it was!  I mean, all I was doing was sewing bits and pieces together, and trimming them up so I could sew more bits and pieces together, right? It was really a lot like putting a puzzle together.  Lining up bits and pieces with each other so they could form bigger and bigger blocks, and then rows, and finally become something that is rectangular and "square" and a size that would be useful.  I sewed the blocks I made into four rows about 50 inches wide, but since it still wasn't long enough, I ended up making two narrower rows that I attached to the top and bottom to reach my goal of 60 inches or a bit longer.  And I am so pleased with the result! 

Now to find the perfect backing material and get it ready to quilt!





15 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

It looks great! I enjoyed putting mine together because it was very much like a puzzle. I did end up with a few partial seams and I also had to create some extra pieces to fill some spaces. In fact, I started another one tonight ;)

Have fun quilting it!

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi Diann! This looks beautiful! I think you have made very good layout and mix of light and dark colours. It may look easy but I know how long time it takes to arrange these in a way we like. But still this kind of projects are my favourites. It's great to hava a challenge and then see that we made it work well. Have a lovely Christmas time! x Teje
www.nerospost.wordpress.com

Linda said...

It's lovely! You did a great job putting it together. Yes it is challenging, but what a great reward. Lol on not remembering some of the fabrics. It's great that it has fabrics you love in it - it will be a treasure.

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

Way to go! I want to try to make one of these too, but it does look challenging.

Preeti said...

Looks like it was worth all the effort you put into it!!! The way you distributed light and dark fabrics makes this very interesting. I am sure there are a few of these quilts in my future too.
http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A lovely finished top with lots of scrappy goodness t look at! I like your distribution of value here. And repeating the dark blue/aqua spot was a great idea, gives a hint of continuity which seems to help tame this.

Sandra Walker said...

Ooh, it is fabulous! I am still plugging away at the little stage. My small scraps basket just keeps increasing in volume though...think I need to devote some serious time rather than just leaders and enders to this baby. I think you should put some Minky on the back!! It is fabulous stuff, perfect for the couch snuggle quilt.

Vic in NH said...

Your scrappy experiment is quite a success! Cotton flannel also makes a lovely snuggly backing, too. I got lucky at my thrift shop and found a gently used 100% cotton flannel flat sheet for $3.00!

gayle said...

I love the idea of a grownup I spy quilt! (And I've got a lot of those 'where-did-this-come-from?' fabrics in my scraps, too...)
It looks like the perfect snuggly quilt!

Paige said...

I recognize some of those scraps, like the yellow and pink with butterflies! Great job!

scraphappy said...

Great job on sticking with all those scraps. This will be one to enjoy for years to come.

Podunk Pretties said...

It turned out fabulous! So much to see...each little piece. Funny how we quilters look for prints in our own stash.

Nann said...

Your scrappy quilt looks great!

Claire said...

You have enough of some dark blue and yellow scraps to give the whole thing some continuity. Nice.

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

Such a fun quilt...I really enjoyed getting mine started and I will be getting it all out to finish at some point. Oh yes...definitely "grown-up I spy" quilt.